Rapid City, SD
Organization: Northern Great Plains Network, under the National Parks Service
Location: Rapid City, SD
Type of opportunity: Full-time, Permanent
Midwest Region Central SHRO
This position serves as Data Manager (Biologist/Ecologist) for the Northern Great Plains Inventory and Monitoring Network (NGPN). The Data Manager will work in a team atmosphere with a motivated group of ecologists, park resource managers, and outside scientists/contractors to implement NGPN’s Inventory and Monitoring Program. The Data Manager is responsible for leading the information and data stewardship for NGPN.
Major duties include:
Designs, develops and maintains a comprehensive database management system for physical, biological and environmental data generated by the network.
Analyzes user/program needs and develops relational data models to meet program’s data management requirements.
Writes data management plans, protocols and training documents.
Develops custom mobile device data collection solutions.
Provides geographic information system (GIS) and global positioning system (GPS) support to Network ecologists.
All qualifications must be met by the closing date of this announcement, Wednesday, December 09, 2015.
Qualifying experience may be obtained in the private or public sectors. http://www.opm.gov/qualifications
BASIC REQUIREMENT Biologist Series, 0401 Individual Occupational Basic Requirements
IMPORTANT: Copy of Official Transcripts must be submitted with application package or you will be rated ineligible. Copies must include your name, school name, credit hours, major(s), and grade-point average or class ranking.
Must have a Degree: biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
Combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
BASIC REQUIREMENT Ecology Series, 0408 Individual Occupational Basic Requirements
Must have a Degree: biology; or related filed of science underlying ecological research that included at least 30 semester hours in basic and applied biological sciences. These hours must have included at least 9 semester hours in ecology, and 12 semester hours in physical and mathematical sciences.
GS-401/408-11 Must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 grade level of federal service that includes experience with assisting in the design, development, and management of database systems for the long-term maintenance, analysis and dissemination of natural resource-related data sets produced by past and forthcoming inventory and monitoring effects; synthesizing a wide range of data types including biological, physical, and bibliographical in both tabular and spatial formats; integrating a variety of GIS and database management software, and modifying and adapting standard software; providing technical assistance and direct professional advice and support to others; and participating in professional meetings, workshops and symposia dealing with data management and related topics to present information.
Three years progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D or equivalent Doctoral degree in Biology, or related field of science underlying ecological research for the Ecologist or biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines for the Biologist.
A combination of specialized experience and education.
Salary/pay: $56,562.00 to $76,131.00 / Per Year
Link to more information: USAjobs Job Announcement
How to apply:
NOTE: applicants must submit their application packages electronically or by fax. Applications/resumes and supporting documentation sent by mail (including email) WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Applicants are advised that a variety of public facilities such as schools, public libraries, state employment offices and regional job centers provide access to computers at no charge. Help may also be available to targeted groups through a variety of public assistance agencies.
To apply for this position, you must complete the occupational questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 to receive consideration.
* To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
* Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
* It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to Wednesday, December 09, 2015.
* To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
* To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete. Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document(s):
1. To fax your documents, you must use the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf and provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 1554202.
2. Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144. If you cannot complete the Application Wednesday, December 09, 2015 to receive consideration. Keep a copy of your fax confirmation in the event verification is needed.
To complete the occupational questionnaire and submit via fax:
1. Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire.
2. Print the 1203FX form, follow the instructions and provide your responses to the occupational questionnaire itemshttp://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/opm1203fx.pdf.
3. Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
Note: If you receive an email stating that there was a technical problem uploading your documents, you should fax the applicable documentation to OPM at 478-757-3144. Be sure to use the fax cover sheet that was linked in the vacancy announcement, include the appropriate Office Code (IN) and VIN (1554202) so that the fax is processed properly and promptly. For further questions regarding applying online or by fax, please contact OPMApplicationManagerHelpDesk@opm.gov
DO NOT SEND PHOTOGRAPHS. Any resume or documents with photographs will not be forwarded to the hiring official.
Application deadline: December 9, 2015