Organization: Conservation International (CI)
Location: Arlington, VA
- Manage Vital Signs spatial data sets, develop and implement data quality standards for spatial data.
- Ensure adequate documentation of spatial data and analytical processes.
- Develop documentation, protocols, and online training materials that are easily understandable by non-technical staff and multi-cultural teams.
- Conduct training workshops for Vital Signs staff and partners, including GPS training for Vital Signs staff and field teams.
- Provide GIS and cartographic support for Vital Signs and partners, including mapping country and landscape sampling designs and preparing maps for use in presentations and publications.
- Analyze large datasets using Python and/or R scripting, and interact with online databases and publicly available APIs to automate processing of spatial data..
- Perform quality control checks of spatial datasets prior to public release.
- Work closely with key partners to identify GIS data and information needs. Prepare and produce spatial data, information, maps and related information.
- Summarize analysis and document findings in reports and other communication mediums. Provide technical input to conservation planning and project efforts.
- Assess partner skill levels. Develop training plan to increase partner capacity. Prepare training modules and conduct training and workshops. Conduct follow-up evaluations to ensure partner capacity and skill levels are increasing. Implement additional strategies to increase capacity.
- Direct contractors and vendors as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or up to four years of college level work.
- 4-6 years experience in the field of GIS and remote sensing.
- Expert-level user of GIS software. Proficient with software systems, terminology and procedures. Skilled in learning and adapting new software applications.
- Excellent analytical and mathematical skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in developing and delivering user training and end user support.
- Team player and ability to effectively partner and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Skilled in cartography, including ability to produce maps that are effective communication tools with appropriate design elements and color schemes .
- Ability to work independently and as part of an interdisciplinary, multi-cultural team.
- Thrives in a very dynamic work environment and excels at multi-tasking/juggling multiple priorities and meets deadlines.
- Working knowledge of R scripting, must be able to understand and make modifications to existing R scripts.
- Basic statistics.
- Positive attitude.
Start and end dates: Start ASAP
Link to more information and application: Job Announcement
Application deadline: Accepting applications on a rolling basis.