Silver City, NM
Organization: Gila National Forest – Southwest Region
Location: Silver City, NM
Type of opportunity: Full time, permanent
Contact: Art Telles, Natural Resources and Planning Staff Officer
- Recreation, Social Science, and Economic Lead for the preparation, development, and revision of the Forest Plan.
- Staying abreast of the legal aspects of forest planning and associated planning regulations as they pertain to recreation, social, and economic issues.
- Responsible for providing technical and programmatic input, and analyzing and preparing documents related to wilderness, scenery management, recreational uses (including hunting and fishing), and areas with special designations (roadless areas, research natural areas, wild and scenic rivers, etc.).
- Compiling, evaluating, and analyzing data addressing the social and economic influences and dynamics of the forest, as well as recreational uses and needs. Must also be able to conduct socio-economic analyses.
- Responsibility related to helping Forest Planner address plan component requirements for resources such as Minerals, Lands, and Special Uses.
- Helps coordinate collaboration and participation efforts with various stakeholders including Tribes, other Federal agencies, State and local governments, individuals, and public and private organizations or entities during the planning process.
- Coordinating with the appropriate Forest and Regional Staff’s/Program Managers related to recreation, social, and economic aspects of the plan.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of land management planning.
- Understanding of the legal foundation for land use regulation and National Forest land and resource management.
- Ability to work effectively with other resource specialists in an interdisciplinary setting.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of research and data collection.
- Effective writing techniques.
- Understanding of the interaction among social, cultural, and economic conditions, and forest land and resource management.
- Knowledge of computer hardware and software programs, which should include Microsoft Office, ArcGIS, and Internet applications
How to apply: Please respond to the outreach notice by January 22, 2016 if interested.