Organization: Contracted through ORAU for the EPA Environmental Research and Business Support Program.
Type of opportunity: Full time, temporary, contract, two positions available
Contact: For more information, contact EPAjobs@orau.org. Do not contact EPA directly.
- Assisting with development of internal and external web content explaining the public health and environmental protection impact of NCEA research
- Writing and editing communications materials for technical reports and assessments that are accessible to a general audience for posting on EPA and ORD Internet and Intranet sites
- Assisting the NCEA Communications Director in providing media representatives with timely, accurate information about ORD research
- Writing products for print and broadcast news media, and social media explaining the public health and environmental protection impact of ORD research
- Providing support for NCEA that may include designing and laying out infographics, posters, brochures, newsletters, conference display materials, fact sheets and PowerPoint presentations
- Working with the NCEA Communications Director developing communication strategies that include a variety of communications materials explaining the public health and environmental protection impact of NCEA research including articles for consumer publications, trade journal articles, communications plans, talking points, blogs, social media posts, fact sheets, brochures, PowerPoint presentations, videos, infographics etc.
- Assisting with event planning for NCEA participation in conferences, workshops, stakeholder meetings, and other public events
- Assisting in the logistics and coordinating briefings, public meetings, workshops, and other collaborative efforts
- Assisting with statistical tracking and reporting for meetings, as well as maintaining invitation lists
- Developing and maintaining metrics for NCEA science communications group, including tracking workflow and deadlines for communications materials accompanying NCEA products
- Gathering, analyzing, interpreting, and presenting data on NCEA communications outreach strategies
- Performing special editing, writing and/or information-gathering assignments at the request of the NCEA Communications Director
- Preparing and maintaining electronic records of background information (e.g., literature citations and summaries), formal communications materials (e.g., M.S. Word documents, PowerPoint presentations), and images used in communications materials (e.g., digital photos, and Illustrator and Photoshop files)
- Must be 18 years of age
- Have earned a recent (within the last 24 months) Bachelor’s degree in biology, public health, toxicology, or related science disciplines
- Be a citizen of the United States of America or a Legal Permanent Resident
- Have experience in both human health and ecological risk assessment
- Have experience translating scientific information to the lay public
- Have strong communications skills (both orally and in writing)
- Have excellent proofreading and editing skills
- Have strong leadership and organizational skills, including demonstrated ability to handle multiple assignments with competing deadlines
- Have excellent interpersonal skills
- Have advanced skills with Microsoft Office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
- Have experience with some form of graphic design software (e.g., Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Publisher)
Start and end dates: The initial project is April 2016 through May 14, 2016, followed by up to four (4) additional 12-month optional periods.
Link to more information: Read the job announcement and apply online.