Organization: Feeding Laramie Valley
Type of opportunity: Internship, seasonal
Contact: Reece Owens, firstname.lastname@example.org, (307) 399-8098
- Assist with Farmer’s Markets: engaging with community members and collecting, weighing, and organizing food donations
- Monitoring and staffing farmer’s market booths at both the downtown and local market locations
- Help collect data on food production and intake
- Planting, weeding, watering, and harvesting all of FLV gardens
- Attend meetings and training as arranged with the Food Production Coordinator and FLV Founder
- Contribute to FLV social media sites on a regular basis, including photos and program-positive comments regarding work that’s being done.
- Participate as FLV assistant to FLV-sponsored events, and to community based participatory research projects such as Gardens for Health and Healing partnership with the University of Wyoming.
- Be part of overall FLV team effort to improve and promote the FLV Building at LaBonte Park and remote land sites, including shared scheduled cleaning and maintenance tasks.
- Contribute toward FLV’s assessment of internship program by providing a weekly personal narrative (and photo/art journal if desired) of the intern/apprentice experience to the FLV Founder.
- Other related tasks
- Commitment to food equity and justice as a community-led endeavor
- Excellent communication skills
- Willingness to learn, positive attitude, and strong work ethic
- Ability to regularly and safely lift up to 50 lbs. with proper body mechanics
- Ability to work outside, in all weather conditions and be willing to get dirty
- Repetitive stooping and bending
- Gardening experience helpful but not required (you will learn by doing!)
- Full criminal background check will be conducted at FLV’s expense
- A current driving record is required for anyone who will be driving on FLV’s behalf
Start and end dates: May 24 – August 27, 2016
Salary/pay: $10/hour, 35 hours/week, 14-week season
How to apply: Please send your application and 3 references in PDF or Word Format to email@example.com. Please include your last name and “Summer Internship” in the subject line when emailing application. Application can also be mailed to:
The Building at LaBonte Park
968 North 9th Street
Applicants are asked to write an essay of interest in the position, including experiences with community and other gardening work; and/or other experiences with social justice projects. Applicants may wish to include a statement on how they view this experience enhancing their personal and professional goals. The essay of interest, including full contact information, may be emailed or mailed to our address listed below. A resume may also be included but is not required.
Application deadline: April 1, 2016