Hamilton, New York
Organization: Colgate University
Type of opportunity: Full-time, permanent
- Event Coordination. Help coordinate events hosted by the Environmental Studies Program, such as events in partnership with Career Services, the brown-‐ bag seminar series, film festivals, guest lecturers, information sessions, and so on. Help coordinate Sustainability Office events such as the Green Summit, 13 Days of Green, RecycleMania, and Green Living and Green Office Program events, and others.
- Director Support. Work closely with the Environmental Studies Director and Director of Sustainability to facilitate curricular engagement, particularly with regards to ENST 390, and program support, particularly with campus sustainability efforts.
- Assist the ENST Director and the Director of Sustainability with the day‐to-day running of the programs and other tasks as assigned, for example, survey of environmental studies and sustainability programs at other institutions to create comparative analyses of peer programs, and analysis of program assessment data.
- Directly oversee student office workers for the Environmental Studies Program and manage, mentor, and supervise the Sustainability Office interns.
- Update environmental studies website with academic information and events and write articles on important environmental developments on campus. Regularly update the sustainability website with current information and news.
- Disseminate a weekly update on campus happenings related to environmental studies. Because these activities are spread among the many departments that contribute to ENST, there exists no other place where events are concentrated.
- Write articles for the Sustainability Blog and use social media to effectively promote the Office of Sustainability and its programming.
- Compile, design, and edit the environmental studies newsletter.
- Create all publicity for both programs, for example a monthly calendar of environmental events, posters for the brown-‐bag luncheons and film series.
- Program Advocate & Liaison. Serve as the liaison with and be a resource for other related campus organizations and offices, for example the Sustainability Council, Students for Environmental Action, the Outdoor Education Program, the Students for Environmental Action (SEA), the SGA environmental task-‐forces, Admission, Alumni Affairs, Career Services, and affiliated departments.
- Alumni Outreach and Career Services. Work to further develop connections with Colgate alumni with interests in environmental and sustainability issues and Career Services to support networking and career exploration. Arrange for alumni visits to campus, conduct surveys, and establish connections between alumni and current students.
- Student Outreach. Provide office hours to answer student questions regarding required courses for the program, internships and job prospects, and general assistance with student sustainability initiatives. Also meet with prospective students and their parents to inform them about, and promote the Environmental Studies and Sustainability program at Colgate.
- Maintain and develop the Environmental Studies resource room. Continue to expand the lending library, organizing publications, filing internship and graduate school announcements.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Proficient in software and computer applications specifically Microsoft Word, Excel and Publisher, required.
- Must have excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Must have the ability to multitask and be detail oriented.
- Must be self-motivated and driven.
- Must be able to adapt to changing work settings (flexibility) and have exemplary time management abilities.
- Must be capable of working collegially with a diverse group of faculty, staff and students on a daily basis.
How to apply: View the job announcement and apply online.
Application deadline: Position is open until filled.