Type of opportunity: Full-time, permanent
Duties: California has set ambitious climate goals, including reducing its greenhouse gas emissions by 40% and 80% below 1990 levels by 2030 and 2050, respectively. To achieve these goals, the state is acting to reduce emissions from all its major economic sectors, including the natural and working lands (NWL) sector, which comprises forests, rangelands, wetlands, farmlands, and soils. If managed appropriately, NWL can help reduce emission sources and enhance sinks, while still advancing conservation, development, and public safety. Carnegie is advancing scientific foundations for incorporating natural and working lands into California’s ground-breaking climate action. One focus is evaluation of GHG accounting methods and policy options for NWL, in light of multiple objectives and persistent uncertainties. A second focus is analysis of California’s forest offset program, currently the most advanced NWL policy.
- Conduct background research and literature reviews
- Manage curation and quality assurance of data from various sources
- Contribute to experimental research design and analysis
- Contribute to policy briefs, reports, blog posts, academic articles, and grant proposals
- Plan, execute, and summarize expert meetings on natural and working lands
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- Academic or practical experience in the carbon inventories
- Strong analytical skills
- Prior experience conducting research
- Passion for research and eager to obtain hands-on research experience
- Adaptable, self-motivated, inquisitive, and a team player
- Excellent communication skills in English (both spoken and written)
- Detail-oriented with demonstrated ability to multitask and meet short deadlines
- Master’s degree
- Familiarity with landscape assessment models such as LANDFIRE and the Forestry Inventory and Analysis Program
- Experience conducting geospatial analyses in ArcGIS
- Experience using STATA or R to conduct basic statistical analyses
Salary/pay: TBD. Compensation for this position includes comprehensive benefits.
Link to more information: View the full announcement.
How to apply: Apply online.