Organization: Harvard Forest
Duties: The Harvard Forest is seeking two energetic people with field experience in sampling forest vegetation as part of an ongoing forest dynamics research project. The two crew members will work together with minimal supervision, locating pre-existing plots, sampling vegetation (trees, shrubs, herbs), entering data into spreadsheets, and establishing new plots. This summer’s work will serve as the second census of a long-term ecological monitoring program for the 7,000 acres of forest protected and managed by the Blue Hills Foundation in Strafford, New Hampshire.
- Past field experience sampling forest vegetation
- Experience with map and compass, GPS, plant identification, and sampling methods
- Understanding of New England’s forest plant communities and succession patterns
- College background in ecology, forestry, and/or botany
- Experience in entering data into an Excel spreadsheet
- Ability to learn quickly, work independently, and be self-motivated in challenging conditions
- One of the two crew members must have a valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle
Salary/pay: $14 per hour. Free furnished housing with WiFi will be provided.
How to apply: Please send your cover letter, resume, and a list of three references to HFAPPS@fas.harvard.edu.
Application deadline: April 3rd, 2017.