Job Title: Habitat Specialist
Organization: Habitat Forever
Type of opportunity: This position has been developed through a partnership between the Pennsylvania Game Commission (PGC) and Habitat Forever, LLC (HF), a Division of Pheasants Forever, Inc and Quail Forever. The incumbent will conduct and coordinate habitat management activities on Letterkenny Army Depot (LEAD) in support of the PGC’s Bobwhite Quail Focus Area (BQFA). This is a full-time, 3-year limited term employee of Habitat Forever, with the possibility for renewal. Daily leadership & direction will be provided by the PGC & LEAD Field Managers. The position location will be based at LEAD, with occasional travel for training.
Contact: If you have questions, contact: Kent Adams, Director of Field Operations, East Region: (717) 319-5575 or email@example.com
Duties: The incumbent will assist with all aspects of habitat management on the assigned BQFA. Major responsibilities include:
- Directing, and implementing habitat management work on the BQFA;
- Procuring supplies and equipment;
- Operating and conducting daily maintenance of heavy equipment including skid loaders, tractors, track-loaders, backhoes, trucks, trailers, UTV’s, spray equipment, and various implements.
- Participating in the maintenance and repair of equipment;
- Coordinating habitat management contracts including drafting, approval, direct management of contractors, and quality control;
- Working with PF/QF Accounting and Agreements Staff to carry out procurement procedures for contracted habitat work;
- Habitat management work may include overstory removal, invasive species control, site preparation, planting, management of food plots, diverse native seedings, prescribed burning and shrub plantings;
- Operation of chainsaws to fell, buck, and cut trees including maintenance, sharpening and proper use of wedges. Candidates will be required to pass PGC chainsaw training.
- Participating in prescribed fire operations and completion of all required training including arduous pack testing;
- Participating in scientific field studies and surveys;
- Assisting in training and evaluation of seasonal employees;
- Direct supervision & coordination of technicians, volunteers, and students;
- Completing administrative duties including accomplishment reporting, time & budget management and additional coordination with partners;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Excellent background in the operation, maintenance, and transportation of heavy equipment.
- Prescribed fire experience and training is very important.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with colleagues, contractors and partners;
- Ability to work independently with little supervision;
- Knowledge of wildlife ecology, shrubland and grassland management including the ability to utilize various habitat management equipment and tools in the development of wildlife habitat;
- Excellent verbal/written communication and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated attention to detail and administrative capacity for managing contracts, progress reporting, etc.
- Successful applicants should either possess or be able to acquire a PA Pesticide Applicator’s License within 6 months of start date.
- Possession of or the ability to acquire a Pennsylvania CDL Operators License is desirable, but not required
Start and end dates: September 2019 (Full-time position)
Salary/pay: $40,000-42,000 depending on experience and qualifications + Health and Retirement Benefits.
How to apply: Visit our Recruitment website at http://www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs
ONLY ONLINE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. Please combine your cover letter, resume and 3 references into a single Word document or Adobe PDF file before uploading.
Application deadline: August 18th, 2019