Sheridan, Laramie, or Cheyenne, WY
Job Title: Community Organizer
Organization: Powder River Basin Resource Council
Location: Home office in Sheridan, or satellite office in Laramie or Cheyenne
POWDER RIVER BASIN RESOURCE COUNCIL, a leading nonprofit for public policy and grassroots organizing in Wyoming, is seeking applicants to fill the position of Community Organizer.
Powder River Basin Resource Council works to empower local citizens and member groups and to monitor and inform public policy affecting the state’s land, air, water, energy resources, agriculture, and community well-being. The organization is highly regarded both locally and nationally and our community organizing approach and commitment to a civil society are respected by agencies, policy makers and industry groups alike. The home office is based in Sheridan, Wyoming and a satellite office is located in Laramie or Cheyenne.
• Develop and implement organizing and grassroots campaign plans for issue-based campaigns focused on addressing sustainable agriculture and expanding local food production and reducing the impacts of energy development to our water, land, air and wildlife in Wyoming;
• Recruit new members and engage in organizational outreach activities;
• Provide direction and support to members who are addressing issues of concern to the organization;
• Collaborate with members on research, campaigns, and communications;
• Represent Powder River to external public and private entities, including government departments, the state legislature, the media and regulated businesses;
• Coach members to develop leadership, public presentation, and organizational skills;
• Participate in organizational fundraising, communications, and event responsibilities as assigned;
• Perform other activities as required or assigned.
• Commitment to Powder River’s mission, issues and values;
• Ability to work well with people from diverse backgrounds and viewpoints;
• Strong speaking and writing skills;
• Willingness and ability to work flexible hours, including some evening and weekend hours, and to travel;
• College degree (or equivalent work experience);
• Strong background in ranching or farming, natural resource management, mining and oil and gas development impacts to our land, water, air and wildlife, clean energy, agriculture and/or Wyoming issues preferred;
• Experience in issue-based campaign work, communications and/or fundraising also a plus.
Start Date: 10-1-2019
Salary: $35,000 to $40,000. Powder River offers a generous benefits package including health and dental insurance, vision, paid vacation leave, retirement, paid holidays and paid long-term sabbatical leave.
How to apply & application deadline: This position is open until filled, but we encourage applications as soon as possible.
If interested, please email a cover letter, resume, and two brief writing samples to email@example.com (include Organizer Position Application in the subject field) or mail to: Jill Morrison, Executive Director, Powder River Basin Resource Council, 934 North Main St., Sheridan, WY 82801.