Job Title: Sustainability Coordinator
Organization: Central Washington University
Type of opportunity: The Sustainability Coordinator will work collaboratively with administration, faculty, staff, and students to lead campus efforts to develop, coordinate, and implement effective sustainability initiatives. The focus of the position is to reduce CWU’s environmental impact and improve resource use efficiency, which inherently includes environmental, social, and economic aspects of sustainability. The Sustainability Coordinator will provide broad institutional leadership in CWU’s efforts to infuse sustainability principles into curricular, co-curricular, and operational aspects of the university.
- Develops, implements, and leads sustainability-related projects that are aligned with institutional strategies and long-term goals, such as Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education Sustainability Tracking and Reporting System (AASHE STARS), the establishment of a Green Loan Fund, Tree Campus USA designation, and Bicycle Friendly University program certification.
- Develops, plans, and implements sustainability awareness and education programs for the campus community and coordinates and hosts sustainability events. Assist units in developing and implementing changes that reduce CWU’s environmental impact.
- Create, maintain, update and execute an environmental sustainability action plan for the university and pursue funding opportunities to support sustainability initiatives.
- Work closely with individual students including those enrolled in the sustainability certificate and sustainability-related coursework, student groups, faculty, and staff, assisting them in pursuing sustainability initiatives and creating a culture of sustainability.
- Chair CWU’s Sustainability Council. Maintain and update CWU’s Sustainability Website
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 2 years of experience.
- Demonstrated ability to design, manage, and implement sustainability projects at a private or public organization.
- Experience working with students and student organizations.
- Strong leadership, collaborative, and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively with university administration, faculty, staff and students as well as external constituents.
- Excellent oral, writing, editing, communication and presentation skills.
- Or applicable combination of education and/or experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Training and coursework in sustainability.
- Experience creating and maintaining sustainability initiatives and projects in a higher education environment.
- Sustainability project and program management experience with evidence of successful implementation.
- Master’s Degree, preferably related to environmental or sustainability studies.
- Prior experience with the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education Sustainability Tracking and Reporting System (AASHE STARS).
- Prior experience grant writing.
- Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for the quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines, and work schedules.
- Judgment: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines the appropriate course of action.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
- Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create an environment that supports and embraces diversity.
Start and end dates: This project-based position is funded for two years. Continuation of this position beyond the two year period is contingent upon renewed funding being obtained.
Salary/pay: Dependent upon qualifications and experience. CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance, along with vacation and sick leave plans depending on employment classification. For additional information please visit: http://www.cwu.edu/hr/benefits-0
How to apply: To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach:
- A detailed cover letter clearly demonstrating how your education and experience: (a) meet the required (and, as applicable, preferred) qualifications, and (b) demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities as described by the posting;
- Resume including work history, education, training; and
- Contact information for three professional references.
Application deadline: August 28, 2019
**Priority will be given to applications received by the screening date. Incomplete applications will not be considered.