Illinois (Location may vary)
Job Title: Farm Bill Wildlife Biologist
Organization: Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever
Type of opportunity: Work in a joint capacity with Pheasants Forever, Inc. (PF) and Quail Forever (QF), the Illinois Department of Natural Resources and the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) to promote, coordinate and implement the conservation provisions of the Federal Farm Bill and other related wildlife conservation programs. Conservation planning and implementation support to farmers and landowners with an emphasis on soil, water and wildlife resources in agricultural landscapes. Meet with local chapters of Pheasants Forever and other local partners to influence habitat management efforts and participate in statewide habitat meetings. Attend Farm Bill Biologist training and assist in coordinating technical assistance efforts.
Contact: If you have questions, please contact Erin Holmes, Illinois State Coordinator, at email@example.com
- Program promotion, providing technical assistance, conservation planning, contract coordination, conservation plan modification, prescribed burn plans, site assessment and reporting.
- Coordinate and conduct training sessions which include workshops and tours for landowners and resource professionals.
- Provide technical assistance for wildlife habitat enhancement techniques to private landowners and public organizations.
- Meet with local chapters of Pheasants Forever and other local partners to coordinate and influence habitat management efforts and participate in statewide meetings.
- Meet regularly with PF, NRCS and IDNR staff to coordinate technical assistance efforts and for resource training.
- Implement specific conservation programs to improve wildlife habitat and public access.
- Assist or coordinate activities and projects as needed for PF, IDNR and NRCS.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with landowners and partner agencies.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service, sales and promotion to cooperators interested in conservation.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision and with diverse personalities and organizations.
- Extensive knowledge of wildlife ecology, wetland and grassland management techniques, principles, goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of conservation and wildlife programs provided by federal Farm Bill (WRP, CRP, SAFE, EQIP, WHIP, CSP, etc), other state, & local entities. In addition, knowledge of how these programs are implemented in an agricultural landscape is desired.
- Knowledge of the Farm and Prairie Campaign of the Illinois State Wildlife Action Plan
- Sound working knowledge of applying mid-contract management techniques, especially prescribed burning, to benefit target wildlife species. Practical application of practices preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication. Good computer skills (Word Excel, ArcMap).
- Strong organizational skills.
- Valid driver’s license required; some use of personal vehicle required (mileage reimbursement provided).
- Able to obtain USDA Federal Security Clearance.
Start and end dates: October 1, 2019
Salary/pay: $32,000 + Health Benefits and Retirement Package
How to apply: Visit our website at: http://www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs . ONLY ONLINE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. Please combine your cover letter, resume and 3 references into 1 Word document or PDF file on the Recruitment website.
Application deadline: 9/16/2019