Job Title: Communications Director
Organization: Wyoming Outdoor Council
Type of opportunity: The Wyoming Outdoor Council is seeking a communications director to join our fast-paced, highly effective team of conservation advocates. The communications director will articulate the Outdoor Council’s mission and goals to journalists, citizens, policymakers, current and potential supporters, and other stakeholders. They will be responsible for strategic communications and marketing to advance the Council’s mission, engage directly in advocacy and citizen engagement efforts, and support membership and fundraising goals. The ideal candidate will be an excellent writer and communicator with impeccable attention to detail and experience strategically engaging a diverse readership in print, digital, and social media formats. They will be a self- motivated, highly organized, and outgoing team player, and a strategic thinker who thrives when juggling many tasks at once.
- Draft and edit written communications including: action alerts, fact sheets, op-eds, talking points, press releases, marketing efforts, blog posts and other web content, social media posts, monthly e-newsletters, biannual program director’s report, biannual Frontline newsletters, and annual reports.
- Maintain close communication with program staff to stay apprised of current advocacy campaigns and issues.
- Maintain close communication with development staff to support all fundraising communications needs.
- Manage and strengthen the Outdoor Council’s online presence and brand. Apply new communications and engagement strategies and tools to the website and across social media channels to expand brand awareness, increase membership and digital engagement, and facilitate effective citizen advocacy.
- Increase the Outdoor Council’s visibility and strategic outreach efforts to key audiences, including donors, funders, policymakers, members, activists, and the media.
- Review and update communications strategies for the Outdoor Council and for issue- specific campaigns.
- Train and collaborate with staff on tactics and techniques to communicate complex or technical information in clear and compelling ways to various target audiences.
- Develop relationships with members of the media (print, television, radio, and online at the local, regional, and national levels) and manage and respond directly to inquiries about the Wyoming Outdoor Council and our work.
- Track the Outdoor Council’s media coverage and relevant external events and news coverage and share with staff.
- Use Google Analytics, social media analytics, and other data metrics to report on success of communications.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Two to three years of professional experience and/or graduate-level coursework in creative writing, media studies, communications or other relevant field.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively.
- Ability to synthesize complex information, and communicate it clearly, accurately, and compellingly to lay audiences.
- Ability to manage multiple time-sensitive projects independently in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to identify, train, and prepare citizen spokespeople.
- Excellent oral communication skills.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills and a good sense of humor.
- Willingness to travel (mostly within the state).
Familiarity with the geography, natural resources, and culture of Wyoming—or willingness to learn quickly.
Experience with the standard suite of office tools and technology.
- Commitment to the mission of the Wyoming Outdoor Council.
Salary/pay: This is a full-time, exempt position with a competitive salary commensurate with experience. The Wyoming Outdoor Council provides excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits; a generous leave policy; and the opportunity to participate in a retirement plan.
How to apply: Email a letter of interest detailing how your experience and skills match this position description, a resume, a writing sample, and contact and relationship information for three references to Kristen Brown email@example.com (please put “Communications Director” in the subject).
Application deadline: The position will remain open until November 15, 2019 or until filled.