Lander or Jackson, WY
Job Title: Development Director
Organization: Wyoming Outdoor Council
Type of opportunity: The Wyoming Outdoor Council is seeking an experienced Development Director to lead our fundraising program and join our dynamic and highly effective team of conservation advocates. In addition to refining and improving the strategies and protocols the development team uses to successfully meet the Council’s annual fundraising goals and five-year comprehensive campaign goals, this individual will write all grants and fundraising materials and solicit targeted major gifts. The successful candidate will be able to quickly learn the details of our conservation work and be able to write and speak about complex concepts in substantive and compelling ways.
- Work with the development team to create annual and 2-5 year strategies for major gifts, membership, and foundations.
- Ensure the team raises $1.2 million annually and meets the comprehensive (annual, campaign and planned giving) campaign goals over five years.
- Manage a portfolio of existing foundation relationships. Write all grant proposals, grant reports, and prepare associated budgets. Research, cultivate and solicit foundations that could become new funding sources.
- Supervise the Donor Relations Director, who manages a large donor portfolio and is in charge of donor and member events.
- Manage a small portfolio of major donors and solicit major gifts.
- Involve the Executive Director and other key conservation and development staff in key cultivation and solicitation meetings.
- Draft all development communications, including:
- Stewardship reports for major donors. These include in-depth updates on our program work.
- Compelling annual solicitation letters, email appeals, social media posts, and supporting materials for February and June renewals, year-end renewal, and Old Bill’s and Challenge for Charities campaigns.
- Fundraising content for annual report and biannual Frontline.
- Work closely with the Associate Director to track annual income and campaign progress and implement membership growth strategies.
- Oversee and grow membership in the Tom Bell Legacy Society, the Outdoor Council’s planned giving program.
- Engage and train the Wyoming Outdoor Council’s board of directors to assist in fundraising efforts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 3 years professional experience in the charitable giving field.
- Demonstrated ability to write grant proposals and reports and prepare associated budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to ask for and close major gifts.
- Experience with budget forecasting and annual income projection and tracking.
- Project management experience and demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
- Effective leadership, management, supervisory, and training skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Self-motivated with impeccable attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a good sense of humor.
- Willingness to travel frequently (mostly within the state).
- Familiarity with the geography, natural resources, culture of Wyoming and conservation issues in the state—and/or ability to learn quickly.
- Experience with the standard suite of office tools and technology, including experience with Every Action or similar CRM.
- Commitment to the mission of the Wyoming Outdoor Council