Job Title: Program Associate
Organization: Rural Voices for Conservation Coalition
Type of opportunity: The Program Associate supports all aspects of the Coalition’s strategic plan – centered on issues of rural community health, environmental restoration, and economic development. A core focus of this position is to lead and develop RVCC’s storytelling strategy. The position will work with RVCC Leadership Team members to develop coordinated communication and storytelling approach that shares successes of community efforts with a broader audience, helps communicate RVCC products and events and provides continuity of design for RVCC efforts. Because the staff team is lean, our responsiveness relies upon adaptive, can-do energy, and high levels of motivation and initiative. It is essential that the Program Associate is able to forge strong relationships with partners (often remotely), take on and manage a portion of the RVCC portfolio, and act as a colleague in leading the Coalition in partnership with the RVCC Director and Program Manager. Working in a small team also provides the opportunity to see all aspects of the organization, from development to policy work, providing many learning opportunities and exposure to a variety of nonprofit work.
- Develop and lead RVCC’s storytelling strategy. This includes:
- Creating key messages and stories that elevate the visibility and identity of the Coalition
- Developing and leading outreach strategies (such as monthly newsletters) to engage and
inform participants, policymakers, and partners
- Creating products (i.e. best practices or case studies) that elevate innovations in land
stewardship and community development, while drawing out policy lessons.
- Building relationships with Coalition participants to identify storytelling opportunities
- Supporting the development of a Rural Opportunity speaker series
- Managing RVCC’s website and other digital platforms
- Designing products such as reports, guidebooks, and Issue Papers
- Support Wallowa Resources and RVCC Leadership Team members in developing content for a multimedia storytelling platform by conducting outreach to forest collaborative groups to help them learn to use this product.
- Work with Coalition Director, Program Manager, and the RVCC Leadership Team on overall
strategies and tactics for advancing the Coalition’s mission, including but not limited to:
- Participating in RVCC working groups
- Contributing to strategic response tools, such as Issue Papers
- Attending partner led workshops and events focused on areas of mutual interest
- Support Director and Program Manager in designing and organizing RVCC events such as the Annual Meeting, Western Week in DC, and peer learning exchanges.
- Other duties as needed and assigned, including administrative tasks and support
- Energetic, organized, self-driven leader
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate with various audiences, including elected officials, legislative staff, partners, and funders.
- Knowledge of community based natural resource management, collaborative conservation approaches and rural community development. Experience working in Western rural communities preferred.
- Ability to work effectively with many people, often remotely, and manage several projects and tasks at once.
- Ability to sense for new opportunities, bring new ideas, and think critically and strategically.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, natural resources, environmental studies, public policy, or related field.
- Ability to work in a small team, be flexible, responsive, and adaptive to changing circumstances.
- Experience designing professional products using Adobe InDesign, working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop
Start and end dates: 1-year (option to extend contingent on funding), Full-Time, Hourly
Salary/pay: $17-22/hour depending on experience
Link to more information: http://www.ruralvoicescoalition.org/employment/
How to apply: Submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and example of a product, webpage or other communications tool you created to email@example.com
Application deadline: 5pm Pacific, Monday, July 30, 2018