Job Title: Prescribed Fire Coordinator
Organization: The Nature Conservancy
Type of opportunity: The Prescribed Fire Coordinator (PFC), located at the Niobrara Valley Preserve (NVP) in north central Nebraska, provides overall TNC fire management supervision and coordination for the geographic area for which they are designated in this capacity. The PFC will work with federal, state, and local governments, as well as environmental organizations and private landowners in developing and implementing prescribed fire on public and private lands in Nebraska
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 4 years’ experience in fire management or natural resource management or similar field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must meet NWCG qualifications for RxB2 (Burn Boss), including coursework and experience requirements. See the Conservancy’s Fire Management Manual for a full explanation of qualification requirements: http://www.tncfiremanual.org/BurnBoss.htm.
- Experience in developing strategies.
- Experience in reviewing prescribed burn unit plans and site fire management plans.
- Experience in training and curriculum design.
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience leading effectively in stressful situations.
- Experience using applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Web Browsers
- Experience communicating effectively with internal colleagues, partners, and or media.
- Must achieve physical fitness standards as set by local Fire Manager and TNC Fire Manual.
- Fire Manager Qualification must be approved and designated in writing by the Conservancy Fire Management Coordinator.
- Multi-lingual skills and multicultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- Ability and willingness to apply science to decision-making and guide activities.
- Ability and willingness to communicate and work closely with burn bosses, land managers and scientists to develop strategies and meet conservation and fire management objectives.
- Knowledge of ecological land management principles.
- Familiarity with fire effects and fire behavior in local fuel types.
- Knowledge of current trends and practices in fire management, conservation, land management and natural resource preservation.
- Knowledge of Conservancy fire management Standard Operating Procedure, requirements and guidelines.
- Completing tasks independently and with respect to timeline(s).
- Excellent communication skills via written, spoken, and graphical means in English and other relevant languages.
- Experience in representing TNC in local stakeholder partnerships and building new partnerships relating to prescribed fire implementation.
Start and end dates: Full-time position
Link to more information: include link to job posting on organization website
How to apply: Interested candidates should visit http://www.nature.org/careers/. To apply to position number 46643, submit resume (required) and cover letter separately using the upload buttons.
Application deadline: All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on July 20, 2018.