Huron area, South Dakota
Job Title: Habitat Specialist
Organization: Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever
Type of opportunity: This position is part of a partnership between South Dakota Game, Fish & Parks (SDGFP) and Habitat Forever, LLC (HF). The incumbents will conduct habitat management work on public wildlife management areas. They are full-time, permanent employees of Habitat Forever and will receive daily leadership from SDGFP Field Managers. The position location will be in Huron area, South Dakota.
Duties: The incumbent will assist with all aspects of managing the assigned wildlife management area. Major responsibilities include:
- Directing, and implementing habitat management work on public wildlife areas;
- Procuring supplies and equipment;
- Participating in the construction, maintenance, and repair of equipment, parking areas, and roads;
- Coordinating agricultural permits to ensure positive benefits for wildlife;
- Habitat management work may include site preparation, planting, management of food plots, diverse native seedings and dense nesting cover, shrub or shelterbelt plantings. Tree removal and prescribed fire.
- Participating in scientific field studies and surveys;
- Participating in training and evaluation of seasonal employees.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- A basic understanding of environmental, agricultural and/or natural resource science. Education is not a substitute for experience. Field and equipment experience is important. Preference will be given to candidates that possess a bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in wildlife management;
- Excellent background in the operation, maintenance, and transportation of farm equipment.
- Prescribed fire experience and training is very important.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with colleagues and partner agencies;
- Ability to work independently with little supervision;
- Knowledge of wildlife ecology, wetland and grassland management including the ability to utilize various habitat management equipment and tools in the development of wildlife habitat;
- Excellent verbal/written communication and organizational skills;
- Successful applicants must also possess or be able to acquire a South Dakota CDL Operators License and an Herbicide Applicators License.
Start and end dates: November 15, 2018. This is a full-time position.
Salary/pay: 32,000-33,000 depending on experience and qualifications + Health and Retirement Benefits
Link to more information: Matt O’Connor, Habitat Forever Coordinator 563-926-2357, email@example.com
How to apply: Visit our Recruitment website at http://www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs
Application deadline: October 5, 2018