Pompey’s Pillar, MT
Job Title: Park Ranger (Interpretation)
Type of opportunity: BLM is seeking a dynamic and energetic individual to join the team serving as a Park Ranger (Interpretation), for the Billings Field Office, Pompey’s Pillar National Monument. Position is located in Pompey’s Pillar, MT about 25 miles east of Billings, MT.
The incumbent is responsible for performing a variety of duties including, but not limited to, the following:
- Developing interpretive programs, conducting independent research on topics using sources such as records, books, files, and, where appropriate, interviewing people who have personal knowledge of a particular site or event.
- Meeting with visitors to provide information concerning points of interest, travel routes, historical and natural features, site use opportunities and limitations, and park activities.
- Presenting a variety of formal and interpretive programs to include but not limited to, orientation talks, environmental education programs, conducted walks, and demonstrations.
- Recruits and trains candidates for volunteer programs, develops work projects, and coordinates activities with other park personnel.
- Prepares recreation areas/sites for visitor use, to include planning, operation, and required maintenance.
- Maintains interpretive materials and educational displays, and staff information desks.
- Performs various administrative duties, e.g., scheduling, gathering routine information for reports, compilation of statistical data, etc.
For GS-05: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-04 level in the Federal service. Examples of specialized experience: explaining regulations to park visitors; providing information and advice on park activities and resources; collecting fees; issuing reservations and permits; conducting guided tour programs; maintaining recreation facilities or trails; or monitoring special recreation permits. – OR – Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study above high school leading to a bachelor’s degree with 24 semester hours of DIRECTLY related course work. One year of full-time undergraduate study is defined as 30 semester hours or 45 quarter hours.
For GS-07: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-05 level in the Federal service. Examples of specialized experience: park guide or tour leader; archaeological or historical preservation research work; forestry and/or fire management work in a park, recreation or conservation area; management, assistant, or program specialist work involving the development and implementation of policy related to protection, conservation, or management of park areas or similar operations; planning day to day operation of a recreation area providing such facilities as camping, water sports, picnic areas, or coordinating routine activities with maintenance personnel; advising visitors concerning safety, fire prevention, and proper and authorized uses of recreational facilities; and collecting fees. Such experience must have provided basic knowledge of the principles of interpretation, public speaking, and use of presentation media. – OR – One year (18 semester hours) of graduate level education DIRECTLY related to the work of the position – OR – A bachelor’s degree with Superior Academic Achievement that included coursework DIRECTLY related to the work of the position.
Undergraduate and Graduate Education: Major study – natural resource management, natural sciences, earth sciences, history, archeology, anthropology, park and recreation management, law enforcement/police science, social sciences, museum sciences, business administration, public administration, behavioral sciences, sociology, or other closely related subjects pertinent to the management and protection of natural and cultural resources. Coursework in fields other than those specified may be accepted if it clearly provides applicants with the background of knowledge and skills necessary for successful job performance in the position.
Start and end dates: Permanent – This is a permanent LONG-TERM CAREER SEASONAL position (6 to 11-1/2 months) per year.
Salary/pay: $16 to $25.77 per hour
Link to more information: USAJOBS
How to apply: Apply Here
Application deadline: 10/10/2018