Job Title: Precision Ag Coordinator
Organization: PHEASANTS FOREVER & QUAIL FOREVER
Type of opportunity: The employee will work in joint capacity with Pheasants Forever, Inc. (PF), the Nebraska Game & Parks Commission (NGPC) and the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) to coordinate the use of precision agriculture techniques and practices resulting in wildlife habitat delivery through conservation efforts. The Coordinator will work closely with a wide range of resource professionals, extension services, farmers, agriculture cooperatives, and agencies to meet wildlife conservation objectives through precision agriculture technologies. This position will require a self-starter with excellent communication and people skills, and a strong work ethic. This effort will provide an opportunity to make significant contributions to the conservation of pheasants, quail, pollinators and other wildlife throughout the state. Initial travel will be expected.
Candidates must have a full understanding of conventional farming practices, landowner ethic, precision agriculture practices, and conservation options including vegetative cover. The Coordinator will collaborate with PF, NRCS, NGPC, UNL Extension, Nebraska farmers, and local cooperatives to connect precision agriculture efforts and research with conservation delivery for the benefit of pheasants, quail, pollinators, and other wildlife.
Contact: For more information about the position, contact Kelsi Wehrman, PF State Coordinator at 402-621-0744 or e-mail at: email@example.com.
- Collaborate with PF, NRCS, NGPC and UNL Extension to build upon current efforts to benefit soil health, air quality, and wildlife habitat
- Work with UNL Extension to utilize existing agriculture research information and apply to conservation delivery at the ground level
- Utilize agriculture economic information to communicate benefits of precision ag practices for wildlife habitat delivery
- Work with farmers and crop consultants to analyze specific field information and economics resulting in habitat delivery and conservation cover
- Work with PF, USDA, and NGPC to enroll participants into conservation programs
- Work with PF and partners to build a model that utilizes decision support tools and research to help promote conservation cover for soil health and wildlife benefits
- Promote Farm Bill and other conservation programs as a tool to deliver precision agriculture and high quality wildlife/pollinator habitat through federal, state, and local resources
- Work with NRCS, PF, and NGPC state offices to make recommendations for program enhancement for wildlife habitat delivery
- Communicate land stewardship concepts, wildlife habitat management objectives, precision agriculture techniques and program results effectively with governmental agencies, non-governmental organizations and individuals
- Coordinate and conduct conservation agriculture education and outreach activities with various public audiences
- Work with local Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever chapters to help fulfill their habitat and youth mission
- Excellent oral and written communication, coordination and organizational skills.
- Must be comfortable with public speaking and have excellent people skills.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision to accomplish goals.
- Extensive knowledge of agriculture, agronomy and wildlife habitat management techniques, principles, goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of conservation program offerings, including USDA Conservation Programs (CRP, CCRP, EQIP, ACEP, CStP, etc.) as well as state (NGPC) and local (PF) programs is beneficial.
- Sound working knowledge of wildlife ecology and agriculture including the ability to use various management tools, such as cover crops and diverse grass and wildlife seedings to meet wildlife and soil health objectives.
- Good computer skills including knowledge of: MS Word, MS Excel and Arc View.
- Valid driver’s license required with an acceptable driving record and history.
- Ability to organize, develop, and implement educational and outreach activities, including workshops and seminars.
- A strong passion for the outdoors, agriculture, and conservation is required
Start and end dates: January 28, 2019
Salary/pay: Commensurate with experience; plus health benefits and retirement package
How to apply: To apply, visit our website at: http://www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs
ONLY APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED THROUGH THE PHEASANTS FOREVER WEBSITE WILL BE ACCEPTED. Your complete application materials should include a cover letter that outlines your interest in the position and your qualifications, along with a detailed resume, and 3 references, as one MS Word document or Adobe Acrobat PDF file on the Recruitment website.
Application deadline: December 21, 2018