Position Title: Seasonal Education/Outreach
General Description: The ZooMontana Education/ Outreach Seasonal is designed to provide emerging individuals with practical learning experience and valuable knowledge related to the Zoological field. The Education Seasonal will participate in all daily activities of the education department. Activities include, but are not limited to, implementing on and off-site outreaches with animal handling, amphitheater programs, summer camp instruction and possibly animal care and training. This is a career-strengthen step for those considering employment in a zoological or conservation-oriented facility with an emphasis on education outreach or those looking for stable, annual summer work.
• Deliver on and off-site education programs at/for schools, business meetings or special events.
• Aids Summer Camp programming.
• Deliver tours for onsite guests when needed.
• Handle animals under appropriate policies and protocols, including mammals,
birds of prey and reptiles.
• Assist with training of education animals for program use.
• Maintain records regarding number of programs delivered and children reached.
• Help maintain a clean and safe work environment within ZooMontana.
• Helps to implement fire, animal death and animal escape protocol.
• Conduct light office cleaning.
• Assist animal care staff as needed.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Must have a two- or four-year college degree, or be a student enrolled in a college or university pursing a degree in Biology, Zoology, Education, Environmental Sciences, Psychology, Pre-Vet, Veterinary Technology, or other related disciplines.
• Must have a desire to learn professional animal care techniques.
• Must be able to work on weekends, holidays and flexible hours as well as various
• Must be willing to utilize technology within educational programming including but not
limited to PowerPoint presentations, smart board technology and video technology.
• Maintain clean driving record for safe operation of Zoo vehicles and possess and
maintain a state of Montana driver’s license.
• Must have excellent interpretation skills, be comfortable with public speaking and be
able to improvise when needed.
• Must be able to work with animals, adults and children of various backgrounds.
• Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
• Must be able to withstand typical Montana climate.
• Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
• Must be able to communicate well with public and present a positive attitude even in difficult situations.
• Must be detail oriented and possess good record keeping methods.
• Must be self-motivated and able to think logically and solve any problems that arise with little or no guidance.
Employment Dates: April 1, 2019 – September 30, 2019 (negotiable)
Application Procedure: Your application packet must include the following:
• Cover letter explaining why you are interested in an internship at ZooMontana.
• Letter of recommendation from an advisor or professional mentor/supervisor preferred.
How to Apply: Submit materials to Katie Elam at 2100 S. Shiloh Rd. Billings, MT 59106 or firstname.lastname@example.org