Multiple western states
Job Title: Graduate Level Summer Associate: Water Resource Economics and Finance
Organization: WestWater Research
Location: Multiple Western States
Duties: Graduate Level Summer Associate
WestWater Research is seeking graduate students for a Summer 2019 summer associate position. The internship is an ideal opportunity for those who are seeking professional experience in the field of water resource finance and economics. This position provides exposure and applied experience in water resource valuation, financial modeling, and water market transactions and research and is an opportunity to spend three months with leading experts in the sector. WestWater has a tradition of hiring interns upon graduation and is actively seeking an early stage professional interested in developing a career with the company.
2019 Project Description
Summer associates will spend approximately three months at one of WestWater’s offices in Phoenix, Fort Collins, or Boise, conducting a research project. The research project will be selected based on the successful candidate’s interests. The project can be a topic proposed by the applicant or may also include a topic that contributes to one of WestWater’s ongoing client consulting projects. Previous intern projects have included the following:
• Market Report on Water Trading and Price Trends in Texas’ Emerging Water Market
• Financial Analysis and Evaluation of Implementation of Water Trading Programs for Groundwater Mitigation
• The Case for Investing in Water Rights: An Evaluation of Investment Returns
The summer associate will collaborate with WestWater staff and work under the supervision of a senior manager. Summer associates are required to present two workshops to outline and report the findings of their research project. The summer associate will also be responsible for organizing and assembling all market data and supporting documentation. A typical Summer associate project and market analysis include the following tasks:
• Data analysis and organization;
• Financial and/or economic modeling and forecasting;
• Summarizing key findings concisely in an executive report in a presentation format;
• Writing and summarizing findings in an extended report format.
Qualifications: Essential Skills
- Ability to write clearly and professionally;
- Experience and competence in data management and research;
- Knowledge of quantitative and qualitative analysis techniques;
- Proficiency in the use of Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Detailed oriented;
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Resource or Agricultural Economics, Management, Economics, Finance, Business, Engineering or related water resource field, with excellent grades;
- Strongly Preferred: Working toward a graduate degree in Resource, Agricultural, or Applied Economics, Engineering, Environmental Studies, Finance, Business Administration (MBA), or related field, with excellent grades;
Start/End dates: 05/20/2019 – 08/31/2019
How to apply & application deadline: Application Procedure
The summer associate position is competitive and will be based on a person’s qualifications and ability to communicate information and concepts. To be considered for the summer associate position, applicants MUST submit the following information:
• A cover letter describing your interest in water resource finance and water markets, your professional goals, what you hope to learn at WestWater, and your relevant skills;
• A recent writing sample, such as a paper prepared for coursework, demonstrating your ability to summarize and communicate business information;
Incomplete application packages will not be considered. A complete application package with all materials in PDF format must be submitted to email@example.com.
For full consideration, please submit complete application packages by April 19, 2019.