Job Title: Wildlife & Public Lands Organizer
Organization: Wyoming Outdoor Council
Type of opportunity: WOC is seeking a motivated, dynamic conservation organizer to join their team and support ongoing campaigns to achieve protection for Wyoming’s big game migration corridors and large landscapes. The position will involve regular travel (both day and overnight). The ideal candidate will have a passion for—and demonstrated history of effective advocacy in support of—Wyoming’s wildlife, public lands, and communities.
- Co-create, manage, and implement outreach efforts to inform and mobilize citizens about ongoing wildlife and public lands campaigns in communities around the state. These activities may vary, from planning complex events requiring extensive coordination of logistics, media, and volunteers, to informal meetings and other strategies. This position will require regular travel to communities around the state.
- Build partnerships with volunteer citizens and citizen groups to share information, and support local organizing efforts. The organizer will also work with citizens to identify local needs, create events that draw in new activists and recruit and support citizen spokespeople.
- Work with program staff to create and manage a long-term citizen outreach strategy and calendar. This includes creating strategic milestones, planned activities and reporting back for campaign assessment.
- Work with lead program staff and communications team to generate messaging (including social media) related to wildlife and public lands campaigns. The organizer will also communicate with the media as a representative of WOC and speak/present on behalf of WOC at public meetings as required.
- Support and assist program staff in meetings with decision-makers. Attend meetings with decision-makers as needed and facilitate citizen attendance as appropriate.
- Assist in conservation leader training and outreach programming around the state. Work with program staff to design and implement programming efforts statewide to teach citizen advocacy skills and empower Wyoming citizens and communities.
- Interface with partner groups. WOC works alongside many conservation partners and in several coalitions. The organizer will participate in (and sometimes lead) coalition calls and meetings as required.
Desired qualifications: An ideal candidate will thrive in a busy work environment, work well within teams, and accomplish the tasks above as demonstrated by a suitable combination of academic background, training, and experience. They will also be personable, organized and self-directed; have a good sense of humor; be a great communicator (in person and in print); and meet the following minimum qualifications:
- 1-2 years minimum experience in community organizing, engagement, and/or outreach or work with volunteers.
- A passion for wildlife and Wyoming’s wild open spaces. Basic familiarity with fundamental principles of ecology, landscape management, and/or conservation science.
- Knowledge of and passion for Wyoming and its unique communities. Ability to communicate respectfully and effectively with a diversity of Wyoming constituencies, including decision-makers, sportsmen and sportswomen, and other community members.
- Experience organizing public events in multiple formats and at multiple scales.
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for working in teams and coalitions.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, for both internal and external audiences, including comfort with public speaking and presentations.
Start and end dates: Full-time position
Salary/pay: This is a full-time, exempt position with a competitive salary commensurate with experience. The Wyoming Outdoor Council will provide excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits; a generous leave policy; and the opportunity to participate in a retirement plan.
Link to more information: https://wyomingoutdoorcouncil.org/about/careers/
How to apply: Email a letter of interest explaining how your experience and skills match this position description, a resume, two writing samples and contact and relationship information for three references to Linda Sisco at email@example.com (please put “Wildlife & Public Lands Organizer” in the subject). The position will remain open until filled.