Job Title: Habitat Specialist
Organization: Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever
Type of opportunity: These positions are part of a partnership between Kansas Dept. of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism, and Habitat Forever, LLC (HF). Under the direction of KDWPT Staff, incumbents will conduct habitat management work on cooperating private land within designated priority geographies within Kansas as part of the state’s ‘Habitat First’ program. They are full-time, permanent employees of Habitat Forever and will receive daily leadership from KDWPT staff. These positions will be located in 2 regions of the state: one at Wilson Reservoir (near Wilson), and Dodge City.
Duties: The incumbents will assist with wildlife habitat management and manipulation throughout the respective district. Major responsibilities include:
- Supervising, and implementing habitat management work on cooperating private landowners which will include but not limited to edge feathering, herbicide application, prescribed burning, native grass establishment, shrubby cover establishment, moist soil management and brush management with skid steer and chainsaw.
- Procuring supplies and equipment;
- Providing public information;
- Participating in scientific field studies and surveys;
- Participating in training and evaluation of seasonal employees.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Job may require odd hours and travel/time away from home
- A basic understanding of environmental, agricultural and/or natural resource science. Education may be substituted for experience as determined relevant by the partners. Preference will be given to candidates that possess a bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in wildlife management;
- Upland habitat management, prescribed burning, operation of tractors and agricultural implements (disking, mowing, planting food plots, etc.), operation of skid loader with tree saw, brush grapple and other attachments, identification and control of noxious weeds and other undesired vegetation.
- Safe transportation/hauling of equipment.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with colleagues and partner agencies;
- Ability to work independently with little supervision;
- Knowledge of wildlife ecology, wetland and grassland management including the ability to utilize various habitat management equipment and tools in the development of wildlife habitat;
- Excellent verbal/written communication and organizational skills;
- Valid driver’s license required;
- Applicant may be required to obtain a CDL, private pesticide applicators license and prescribed fire training.
Start and end dates: June 1, 2019 (Full-time position)
Salary/pay: $31,000.00 to $32,500.00 depending on experience + Health and Retirement Benefits.
How to apply: Visit our Recruitment website at: http://www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs
ONLY ONLINE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. Please include your cover letter, resume, and 3 references as a single Word document or PDF file on our recruitment website.
If you have further questions, contact: Matt O’Connor, Habitat Forever LLC Coordinator. 563-926-2357 firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: April 22, 2019