Job Title: Farm Bill Wildlife Biologist
Organization: Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever
Contact: Kelsi Wehrman, PF State Coordinator at 402-621-0744 or e-mail at: kwehrman@pheasantsforever.
Duties: Work in a joint capacity with Pheasants Forever, Inc. (PF), the Nebraska Game & Parks Commission (NGPC) and Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) to promote, coordinate and implement the conservation provisions of the Federal Farm Bill and other related wildlife conservation programs. Activities will include providing technical assistance to landowners regarding rangeland and wildlife management, habitat planning, precision ag conservation, contract coordination, conservation plan modification, site assessment and reporting. Conduct and coordinate training sessions that include workshops and tours for landowners and resource professionals. Provide technical assistance related to prescribed fire to private landowners and public organizations. Meet with local chapters of Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever to help coordinate habitat and rangeland management efforts and participate in statewide habitat meetings. Implement conservation programs to improve rangeland management, grassland restoration, small grains and diverse cover crop use and wildlife habitat management on private lands. Assist or coordinate activities and projects as assigned.
- Excellent oral and written communication as well as organizational skills.
- Must be comfortable with public speaking and have excellent people skills.
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service, sales and promotion to producers interested in conservation program information and enrollment.
- Must be able to work effectively with private landowners, governmental agency staff and conservation organization representatives.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision and with diverse personalities.
- Extensive knowledge of habitat management, rangeland management, precision agriculture conservation, grassland restoration and wildlife habitat management techniques, principles, goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of conservation program offerings, including USDA Conservation Programs (CRP, CCRP, EQIP, ACEP, CStP, etc.) as well as state (NGPC) and local (PF) programs.
- Sound working knowledge of wildlife ecology, habitat management and rangeland management including the ability to use various habitat management tools, such as fire or grazing, in the development of and implementation of a management plan.
- Prescribed fire experience is preferred
- Ability to work under adverse weather conditions.
- Good computer skills including knowledge of: MS Word, MS Excel and Arc View.
- Valid driver’s license required with an acceptable driving record and history.
Start and end dates: June 3, 2019
Salary/pay: Starting salary range of $30,000 – $32,000 per year increasing to $34,500 after 1 year of service with a favorable annual review.
How to apply: visit http://www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs
ONLY APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED THROUGH THE PHEASANTS FOREVER WEBSITE WILL BE ACCEPTED. Please combine a cover letter that outlines your experience and interest in this position, along with a resume, and 3 references, as one MS Word document or Adobe Acrobat PDF file on the Recruitment website. Please title your attachment as LASTNAME_PFAPPLICATION.
Application deadline: April 24, 2019