Job Title: Graduate Assistant
Organization: University of Wyoming
Type of opportunity: Multicultural Affairs (MA) develops and implements programs, services, and processes to support students who identify with or within marginalized identities. The GA position supports this mission in a variety of ways, such as by building and strengthening safe, welcoming, and supportive environments in the Multicultural Resource Center and Rainbow Resource Center. Qualified applicants are full-time graduate students at UW.
- Develop, implement, and oversee educational and support service programming designed to recruit and retain students from marginalized backgrounds and identities.
- Provide day-to-day supervision of 3-4 student employees, create center employee schedule, and oversee training of student employees.
- Serve as a resource for individual center users or student organizations who have questions or concerns.
- Collaborate with student employees and IT to ensure lab equipment is maintained as operational for center users.
- Work with staff in each center to create a sustainably safe, welcoming, & supportive environment.
- Be responsible for data collection (surveys), research, and reporting of center usage and program attendance.
- Represent the centers when serving on committees, attending meetings, & communicating with UW departments.
- Support mental & emotional wellness by recognizing student needs & connecting students to appropriate resources. Applicant must be comfortable with & skillful in crisis management.
- Prepare for & attend weekly supervision meetings, maintain effective communication with supervisor, & complete other duties as assigned.
- Ability to work independently
- Effective written & verbal communication skills
- Commitment to working with diverse populations to accomplish goals
- Experience in working with event planning &/or program implementation
- Effective organizational, planning, & conceptualization skills
- Willingness to work some nights & some weekends as required
- Preference will be given to applicants who will be at UW for at least two years
Start and end dates: Position is .45 FTE/19 hours per week, 9 months, beginning the week before classes start in Fall 2019
Salary/pay: The position offers all of the benefits of a full master’s level assistantship (masters level stipend funding; Wyoming residency status for tuition purposes; and payment of 9 credit hours of tuition at an instate rate). Coverage of other benefits is dependent upon available budget.
How to apply: Please include the following application materials
- A letter of interest including the following information: Graduate program, year in school, phone number, and email: Also, in your letter, please answer the following questions: Why do you want to work with the Resource Centers? What specific experience do you have working with marginalized communities? How do you see yourself contributing to Multicultural Affairs?
- CV or résumé, and
- Contact information for 2 professional work-related references.
Applications will be accepted electronically via PDF documents only. Completed applications as well as questions or correspondence should be addressed to:
Program Advisor, Multicultural Affairs
Center for Student Involvement & Leadership (CSIL) Mvigil8@uwyo.edu
Application deadline: May 6th, 2019 at 5 pm