Job Title: Social Media Science Communication Intern
Organization: University of Wyoming Biodiversity Institute
Type of opportunity: The UW Biodiversity Institute is offering a social media and communications internship. This is a great opportunity for a self-motivated student with a passion for communicating science to non-scientists. The successful candidate will gain hands-on experience in science communication.
Duties: Depending on current Biodiversity Institute needs and applicant’s skills, responsibilities may include:
- Developing, writing, and editing content for web, social, and print media;
- Co-managing a weekly, monthly, and long-term communications calendar with other Institute personnel;
- Tracking media and social media coverage related to the Institute and partners;
- Tracking, analyzing, and reporting on social media and other Institute communication efforts and contributing to strategic planning associated with communications;
- Preparing content for newsletters or other mailings;
- Assisting with general communications office functions as assigned;
- Training in specific science communication techniques and practices, as appropriate.
- Education: Degree in progress in Communications and Journalism, AG Communications, Biodiversity, or Humanities with experience or coursework in sciences, or intern experience in a communications role.
- Experience: Experience with common social media platforms in personal and professional applications, computer literacy including email systems, collaborative cloud systems (e.g. Google Docs, One Drive, Box/Drobox) and visual communication programs (e.g. Adobe Creative Suite or open-source graphic design systems). Other requirements: Ability to work independently and in team environments; capacity to work remotely; strong time management and project organizational skills.
Prior internship or professional experience in communications.
Strong desire to gain content management and science communications skills in a professional setting.
Salary/pay: $12.50-$17.50/hr, ~20 hours a week
How to apply: Click here.
Application deadline: January 11, 2021