Job Title: Senior Instructor of Outdoor Recreation Industry Business and Leadership
Organization: University of Colorado Boulder
Type of opportunity: As part of the new ORE specialization, ORE is committed to supporting the entire outdoor recreation economy through innovative approaches to economic development, the management of resilient public lands and waterways, the creation of inclusive spaces, and the promotion of sustainable business practices. ORE is seeking an individual to design and teach the Outdoor Recreation Industry Business & leadership course who:
- is passionate about mentoring and teaching the next generation of students who will create real impact in this industry.
- is committed to accessing and developing educational pathways for all students.
- is determined to create learning and career opportunities for students.
- is visionary in creating opportunities for learning and career pathways for diverse professional learners.
- is excited about creating a flagship program in the outdoor recreation economy.
- Engaging with industry. This involves developing and facilitating relationships with external organizations and serving as a resource for the outdoor industry.
- Teaching. The candidate will develop and teach both in-person, as well as online professional graduate courses.
- Capstone Advisor. The faculty member will advise MENV students in experiential learning projects.
- Working with existing faculty to develop evidence-based strategies for program growth (e.g., marketing and student recruitment) is expected, including the expansion of ORE initiatives to remote-based students, as well as those who are underrepresented in the outdoor industry.
- Dependent on the candidate background, this position may also include engaging in research or creative work related to professional practice. This involves a) demonstrating a deep understanding of professional practices in the outdoor recreation economy b) developing, facilitating relationships with, and serving as a resource to external organizations and communities; c) demonstrating impact and innovation within the professional practice; and d) engaging in research and thought leadership in the outdoor recreation economy.
- There is also the potential that this position will serve as the faculty lead for ORE specialization. This will include overseeing the curriculum and ORE faculty and advising students.
- A PhD, EdD, DBA, MBA, or other advanced degree.
- Candidates will have at least 5 years of significant relevant experience through innovative professional practice directly related to the outdoor industry.
- Ability to contribute toward program efforts to address dimensions of underserved communities, justice and equity, and race, gender, and/or class influence as it relates to the outdoor industry.
- Personal qualities should include a spirit of collaboration, a passion for learning and the requisite humility that is required when working in an emergent field with creative, professional students. Strong interpersonal skills and self-directedness are a must for this team-based program with a startup mindset.
- Three (3) or more years of experience of teaching, developing curriculum for professional or higher education learning, extension, and/or facilitation and technical assistance and/or eight (8) years of professional experience directly related to the outdoor industry, holding positions at the director level or above.
- Strong connections with the outdoor industry to facilitate student opportunities.
- Experience dealing with complex issues, multiple business functions and/or stakeholders with varying interests.
- Evidence of engaging diverse communities and creating strong partnerships.
- Experience in creating innovative learning experiences.
- A passion for student mentoring.
How to apply:
- Cover Letter, which includes a thorough description of teaching and professional experience in the outdoor recreation economy.
- The cover letter should also include a description of how the candidate will support and encourage a diverse and inclusive learning environment that includes mentorship, classroom, professional, and experiential and project-based learning.
- Current Curriculum Vitae