Job Title: Development Associate
Organization: Wyoming Outdoor Council
Duties: You will manage our major donor and planned giving programs. You will work closely with the executive director to ensure that we meet both annual and long-term fundraising goals. You will be an integral part of our development team that includes the executive director, associate director and another development associate who manages our grants program. You will:
- Use existing strategies for identifying, cultivating, and stewarding relationships with donors.
- Effectively use our database to track, manage and further relationships with current and prospective donors with a focus on gifts larger than $1000.
- Plan and conduct meetings with donors around the state to make direct requests for annual financial support, campaign gifts, and multi-year campaign pledges.
- Passionately and persuasively articulate our mission and vision in a compelling and thoughtful way.
- Lead our emergent planned giving program.
- Establish friendly and professional relationships with our donors. Communicate regularly—in person and by phone, email, and mail—to keep them apprised of the organization’s ongoing work.
- Plan and implement donor cultivation events and outings.
- Coordinate the board’s quarterly stewardship (thanking) initiative with particular focus on major donors.
- Provide support and build the confidence of the board of directors in supporting our development goals.
Qualifications: You are friendly and engaging. You can meet new people, listen to their interests, and explain how becoming an Outdoor Council donor supports those interests. You make and keep friends easily. You have a good sense of humor and are a great communicator, in person and in writing. You are comfortable making large campaign asks. Ideally, you have experience in fundraising, or you value the importance of fundraising and are excited to learn.
You are self-directed, but understand the value of working within a team toward shared goals. You value the importance of doing a job well and on-time. You enjoy pitching in to help others when needed. You can handle multiple projects with competing deadlines in a thorough and organized fashion.
You have strong writing skills. You are clear, articulate, and persuasive. While you may not have a background in conservation, you understand the work that the Outdoor Council does. You are able to share updates with donors. You pay attention to the details and make sure that the information you share is complete and accurate. You maintain confidentiality with sensitive donor information.
You love Wyoming and enjoy traveling the state to meet with donors. You are familiar with the state’s geography, natural resources, and culture(s). You like working flexible hours.
You are experienced working on Macs and with the standard suite of office tools and technology. You aren’t afraid to learn new systems. As a plus, you are comfortable manipulating spreadsheets to share information with others.
And, most of all, you are committed to the mission of the Wyoming Outdoor Council.
Application Deadline: March 31
How to apply: Email a letter of interest explaining how your experience and skills make you the right person to join the team. Include a resume and three references (with contact and relationship information) to Misti Haase at email@example.com (please put “Development Associate” in the subject). They may ask for additional writing samples prior to the interview process.
They strongly encourage applicants from underrepresented groups to apply.