Job Title: Summer Shares Apprentice
Organization: Feeding Laramie Valley
Position Overview: A Feeding Laramie Valley (FLV) Shares Apprentice will serve as a community-based activist and advocate for group and individual efforts to promote local food security and equity in Albany County, Wyoming. The position involves hands-on work in local food production (gardening), collection, distribution; assistance with overall organizational operations and in a variety of community food projects.
- Work with interns, team members and volunteers on planting, watering and harvesting food for distribution within the Albany County community.
- Help plan and implement the weekly public distribution of grown and donated produce to individuals experiencing food insecurity as well as participate in various public FLV events.
- Participate in FLV-sponsored events and provide assistance to community-based participatory research projects.
- Assist in setting up and staffing Shares booth at Farmers Markets each Thursday and Friday afternoon from mid-July through August. Tasks include:
- educating public on Feeding Laramie Valley’s Shares program and food production sites
- enlisting Farmers Market vendors to donate food at end of market
- weighing and recording food donations from vendors and the public.
- Help wash, sort, divide and distribute donated produce (process occurs 2 – 3 times/week).
- Contribute to FLV social media sites on a regular basis, including photos, videos and program-positive comments regarding work that’s being done.
- Attend meetings and training as arranged with the Food Production Coordinator and FLV Founder.
- Ability to regularly and safely lift up to 50 lbs. with proper body mechanics.
- Ability to work outside, in all weather conditions and be willing to get dirty.
- The Feeding Laramie Valley Shares team members are expected to work independently at times and in a leadership capacity with volunteers.
- Provide a weekly personal narrative (and photo/art journal if desired) of the intern/apprentice experience to the FLV Founder.
Scheduling: 35/hours per week. Actual schedule will change throughout the summer, and will be determined at a later date. Ability to commit to a flexible work schedule will be necessary. Each 8-hour day includes a one-hour lunch break.
- All staff, interns and volunteers for Feeding Laramie Valley are subject to criminal history background checks.
- A copy of a current driver’s license and most recent 3-year driving record is required in order to drive on behalf of ARI.
COVID-19 Related Safety: All FLV programs and services continue to operate within careful attention to the implications of operating essential services during a global pandemic. FLV COVID-19 policies and requirements are in line with those determined by the leading public health experts in the country; the most current recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control; any and all Federal, State, and Local mandates; and additional guidelines and requirements (including possible testing, remote-working, quarantine practices, and daily screening, required mask-wearing, social distancing, and sanitary practices while on any and all FLV associated work sites) as are required by the ARI CEO and Board of Directors at any given time. Any staff or volunteer costs associated with these requirements, will be fully covered by ARI.
Salary/pay: $12 per hour, Shares Apprentice will also receive a weekly produce Shares bag filled with fresh produce grown locally and regionally by your team.
Start and end Dates: May-September
Application Deadline: May 1
How to apply: Essay and interview required. If selected for an interview, two references will be required. Applicants are asked to write an essay of interest in the position, including experiences with community and other gardening work; and/or other experiences with social justice projects. In this essay, please describe why this position interests you, what relevant experience you may have, and why you would be a good fit for FLV. Applicants may wish to include a statement on how they view this experience enhancing their personal and professional goals.
Please email essay and full contact information to Reece Owens, email@example.com, or contact Feeding Laramie for alternative delivery methods. A resume may also be included but is not required. Please place in the email subject line: 2021 Shares Apprentice – Shares.