Position Title: Habitat Specialist
Organization: Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever
This position is a part of a partnership between Kansas Dept. of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism, and Habitat Forever, LLC (HF). The incumbent be a full-time, permanent employee of Habitat Forever and will receive daily leadership from KDWPT staff. Under the direction of KDWPT staff, the incumbent will conduct habitat management work on cooperating private land within the Smoky Hills as part of the state’s ‘Habitat First’ program. The Smoky hills priority landscape consists of large contiguous tracts of native mixed grass prairie, row crop agriculture, and hardwood riparian habitat along the rivers and streams.This position will be based out of the Wilson Wildlife Area office (near Wilson and Russell, KS).
The incumbent will assist with wildlife habitat management and manipulation throughout the respective district. Major responsibilities include:
- Supervising, and implementing habitat management work on cooperating private land which may include but is not limited to, edge feathering, herbicide application, prescribed burning, native grass establishment, shrubby cover establishment, moist soil management and brush management with skid steer and chainsaw.
- Procuring supplies and equipment;
- Providing public information;
- Participating in scientific field studies and surveys;
- Participating in training and evaluation of seasonal employees.
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
- Job may require odd hours and travel/time away from home.
- A basic understanding of environmental, agricultural and/or natural resource science. Education may be substituted for experience as determined relevant by the partners. Preference will be given to candidates that possess a bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in wildlife management;
- Upland habitat management, prescribed burning, operation of tractors and agricultural implements (disking, mowing, planting food plots, etc.), operation of skid loader with tree saw, brush grapple and other attachments, identification and control of noxious weeds and other undesired vegetation.
- Safe transportation/hauling of equipment.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with colleagues and partner agencies;
- Ability to work independently with little supervision;
- Knowledge of wildlife ecology, wetland and grassland management including the ability to utilize various habitat management equipment and tools in the development of wildlife habitat;
- Excellent verbal/written communication and organizational skills;
- Valid driver’s license required;
- Applicant may be required to obtain a CDL, private pesticide applicators license and prescribed fire training.
Training and Experience Guideline: Any combination of training and/or experience that will enable the applicant to possess the required knowledge, skills and abilities. One year of work experience in a wildlife management or agricultural related job. Applicants who possess a Bachelor of Science Degree in Wildlife Management or closely related natural resources field and/or related field experience is preferred.
Salary/pay: $33,000-$37,000 depending on experience + Benefits.
Application Deadline: July 7, 2021
How to apply: Please combine your cover letter, resume, and 3 references into a single Word document or Adobe Acrobat PDF file before uploading to the “Resume” section on our recruitment website at: www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs
If you have further questions, contact: Matt O’Connor, Habitat Forever LLC Coordinator. 563-926-2357 firstname.lastname@example.org
To view the full job description as well as how to apply, click here