Job Title: Virtual Intern
The American Foreign Service Association is recruiting a part-time virtual intern for the summer to support the Outreach team. Work will include supporting outreach activities such as social media engagement, including content development, virtual events, newsletters, as well as the maintenance and expansion of an outreach database. Applications will be accepted until August 25, 2021. The time frame for this position is September to December 2021; specific dates will be discussed at the beginning of the internship based on the intern’s school/personal schedule. The intern will not exceed 20 hours of work per week.
The American Foreign Service Association (AFSA), created in 1924, is the professional association for the U.S. Foreign Service. AFSA’s 16,800 members include active and retired Foreign Service officers and specialists primarily at the Department of State as well as at the U.S. Agency for International Development, the Foreign Agricultural Service, the Foreign Commercial Service, the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, and the U.S. Agency for Global Media.
AFSA is also a labor union, serving as the exclusive representative of members of the Foreign Service. AFSA negotiates with the management of the principal U.S. Government foreign affairs agencies on personnel policies and practices affecting members’ working conditions, and represents members in formal grievance proceedings, office of security and inspector general investigations, disciplinary proceedings, and EEO cases.
For more information about AFSA, please go to www.AFSA.org.
This position will support the Outreach Team’s campaign activities. Responsibilities include working on content development for the campaign, including helping to expand AFSA’s social media presence, supporting the planning and execution of virtual events, and supporting public outreach activities, including maintaining and expanding a database of outreach contacts.
- Social Media: Responsible for assisting with AFSA’s social media engagement, including helping to create social media content, evaluating and analyzing performance metrics, and helping to identify creative approaches to reach a new, younger audience.
- Virtual Events: Assists the Outreach team with virtual events, including planning, scheduling, working with speakers, developing marketing content, and handling the logistics.
- Content Development: Helps to develop messaging materials for the campaign, including video scripts, fact sheets and talking points, content for AFSA’s website, and newsletters.
- Outreach – contacts and platforms: Responsible for researching community colleges and other local organizations throughout the country and conducting outreach to these groups to offer speakers and virtual programming to help expand AFSA’s network of contacts. This includes maintaining and expanding AFSA’s outreach database.
Perform other duties as assigned.
- Highschool diploma required.
- Working toward a bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Superb oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, to include email and phone.
- Facility with Excel as well as virtual platforms such as Zoom and Microsoft Teams.
- Familiarity with digital platforms including Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
- Interest in international affairs and the Foreign Service.
Due to COVID-19 and AFSA’s soft re-opening on June 1, 2021, the incumbent is required to have proof of a full COVID-19 vaccination for employment and building entry due to frequent interaction with the AFSA Governing Board, staff, guests, and members.
This requirement does not apply to 100% telework positions and remote internships.
This internship is a volunteer position and is unpaid. AFSA is willing to work with the intern’s school to support class credit for the internship where applicable.
How to Apply:
Please email Nadja Ruzica at firstname.lastname@example.org a detailed cover letter that explains why you are interested and qualified in this position. Include your resume, along with a brief writing sample. Applications due by August 25, 2021.