Job Title: Education Seasonal
Location: Billings, MT
Organization Overview: The ZooMontana Education Seasonal position is designed to provide emerging individuals with practical learning experience and valuable knowledge related to the Zoological Education field. The Education Seasonal will participate in all daily activities of the education department. Activities include, but are not limited to, summer camp instruction, implementing on and off-site outreaches with animal handling, amphitheater programs, program development, curriculum design and possibly animal care and training. This is a career-strengthening step for those considering employment in a zoological or conservation-oriented facility with an emphasis on education or those looking for stable summer work. Although housing is not provided, ZooMontana will aid in finding affordable housing options.
- Deliver on and off-site education programs at/for schools, business meetings or special events.
- Aid in providing Summer Camp programming & instruction.
- Program development & delivery.
- Deliver tours for on-site guests when needed.
- Handle animals under appropriate protocols, including mammals, birds of prey, & reptiles.
- Assist with training of education animals for program use.
- Maintain records regarding number of programs delivered and children reached.
- Help maintain a clean and safe work environment within ZooMontana.
- Helps to implement fire, animal death and animal escape protocol.
- Conduct light office cleaning.
- Assist animal care staff as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must have a two or four year college degree, or be a student enrolled in a college or university
pursing a degree in Biology, Zoology, Education, Environmental Sciences, or other related
- Must have a desire to learn professional animal care techniques.
- Must be able to work on weekends, holidays and flexible hours as well as various evening hours.
- Must be willing to utilize technology within educational programming including but not limited to PowerPoint presentations, video editing technology, and more.
- Maintain clean driving record for safe operation of Zoo vehicles and possess and maintain a state of Montana driver’s license.
- Must have excellent interpretation skills, be comfortable with public speaking, and be able to
improvise when needed.
- Must be able to work with animals, adults, and children of various backgrounds.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to withstand typical Montana climate.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Must be able to communicate well with public and present a positive attitude even in difficult situations.
- Must be detail oriented and possess good record keeping methods.
- Must be self-motivated and able to think logically and solve problems that arise with little or no guidance.
- Must be a team player.
Start/End dates: April 30 – October 31 (negotiable)
Salary/pay: $10/hr, 35 hrs/week
Application Deadline: February 4
How to Apply: Your application packet must include:
• Cover letter explaining why you are interested in a position specifically at ZooMontana.
• Letter of recommendation from an advisor or professional mentor/supervisor preferred.
Submit materials to Katie Elam at 2100 S. Shiloh Rd. Billings, MT 59106 or email@example.com