Job Title: PhD Position in Recreation Behavior, Policy and Management
Organization: Environmental Studies, Colgate University
Location: Hamilton, NY
Overview: In 2019, Colgate became the first college or university in New York State to achieve carbon neutrality, and the university’s sustainability program is one of the top-rated in the country. Colgate’s Environmental Studies (ENST) Program, established in the early 1980s, is an interdisciplinary program that draws upon the expertise and strengths of faculty in a variety of departments including Environmental Biology, Geography, Geology, and Economics. The Office of Sustainability and the ENST Program have a mutually beneficial and collaborative relationship that accentuates each program’s strengths. The Assistant Director of Sustainability and ENST Coordinator serves as a key nexus between the two programs.
Position Overview: The Assistant Director of Sustainability and ENST Coordinator works within Colgate’s Office of Sustainability and Environmental Studies Program to advance campus sustainability, curricular, and co-curricular initiatives in alignment with core institutional goals. This includes, but is not limited to mitigating greenhouse gas emissions, maintaining carbon neutrality, building climate resilience, and reducing waste; supporting the ENST academic program through community building and event planning; and developing empowering, inclusive, and impactful student experiences that utilize science-backed behavior change frameworks and ethical leadership principles.
- Accountable for hiring, supervising, and mentoring student workers for both programs. Lead and manage Colgate’s sustainability internship program to provide a robust and meaningful student experience that both catalyzes student development and advances the University’s sustainability goals.
- Accountable for program and project management, including oversight of select sustainability office programs including the Oak Event Certification program, Green Bikes Program, and Sustainability Representatives program.
- Assists the director of sustainability with data collection and tracking of Colgate’s greenhouse gas (GHG) inventory. Collects and analyzes data for various tracking and benchmarking data such as Colgate’s annual greenhouse gas inventory. Assists with sustainability ranking systems and third-party assessments, such as AASHE STARS. Administers and analyzes the annual Environmental Studies student survey.
- Accountable for event management. Oversee events hosted by the Environmental Studies Program, such as the brown bag lecture series, and sustainability office events such as the annual 13 Days of Green. Build student community around environmental studies and sustainability through the events and social life of each office.
Accountable for curricular/ co-curricular student engagement. Works closely with the environmental studies director and sustainability director to facilitate and support curricular/co-curricular student learning experiences.
- Accountable for outreach and communications. Keeps the environmental studies and sustainability web pages up-to-date, oversees the publication of environmental studies and sustainability office newsletters, and oversees the creation of publicity materials for both programs.
- Accountable for maintaining and developing the Environmental Studies Resource Room and lending library.
- Three or more years of professional work experience in sustainability or closely related field.
- Proficient in software and computer applications specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google Suite, required.
- Excellent organizational, time management, and communication skills.
- Exercises discretion and utilizes independent judgment when mentoring students, implementing new programs, and when developing outreach and communications materials.
- Self-motivated, driven, and detail-oriented.
- Able to adapt to changing work settings and priorities.
- Capable of working collegially with a diverse group of faculty, staff, and students on a daily basis
How to Apply: Please click here to view the full job description, as well as view the online application