Job Title: Outdoor Program Coordinator
Organization: University of Wyoming
Location: Laramie, WY
Position Overview: Provide leadership, coordination, and advisement for University of Wyoming students in the Outdoor Program within Campus Recreation; develop or enhance the Outdoor Program at the University of Wyoming.
- Responsible for administering all aspects of Outdoor Program. Develop, organize and carry out a wide range of outdoor activities, outings and clinics each year. Oversee operations of an outdoor equipment rental center. Demonstrate knowledge and technical skills associated with standard outdoor programming and climbing wall facilitation and management.
- Oversee 25-30 student employees and multiple Graduate Assistants. Interview, hire, train, supervise and evaluate up to 2 Graduate Assistants and 25-30 part-time employees. Coordinate training for Outdoor Program student employee positions in Campus Recreation.
- Maintain and update safety protocols and procedures for outings and the climbing wall. Coordinate safety training for Outdoor Program employees. Evaluate and reinforce safety procedures during weekly student staff meetings. Assist in the development, oversight and enforcement of travel policies for Campus Recreation programs.
- Collaborate with Academic Affairs, Admissions, Student Affairs, and other departments/programs on campus to support academic aspects of Campus Recreation and the Outdoor program. This may include teaching academic classes.
- Develop and monitor budget for Outdoor Program.
- Represent Campus Recreation by contributing to university-wide committees that further the overall mission of the University especially toward recruitment, retention and graduation efforts. Serve on departmental committees and complete necessary tasks which advance the objectives of the department.
- Provide training to program and activity support staff.
- May serve on committees.
- Individual Leadership
- Strategic Planning
- Safety Awareness
- Developing Organizational Talent
Education: Bachelor’s degree in a related field
Experience: 2 years work-related experience in collegiate outdoor recreation programming or comparable
Required licensure, certification, registration or other requirements:
- CPR/First Aid/AED Certification or ability to obtain within three months of employment.
- Wilderness First Responder Certification or ability to obtain within three months of employment.
- Valid Driver’s License with a motor vehicle record that is compliant with the University Vehicle
Use Policy Found here.
Skills: Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Master’s level degree.
- Two years’ experience as a Graduate Assistant in a collegiate outdoor recreation program.
- Full-time experience working in a collegiate outdoor recreation program.
- Experience supervising, training and evaluating student staff.
- Professional certifications in one or more of the following areas: climbing, mountain biking, paddling, avalanche awareness, and bike mechanic/technician.
- Demonstrated knowledge and technical skills associated with managing an indoor climbing wall facility including current industry and risk management standards.
- Demonstrated knowledge and technical skills associated with cold weather activities such as Alpine Skiing, Nordic Skiing, and Snowshoeing.
- Demonstrated knowledge and technical skills associated with warm weather activities such as backpacking/hiking, rock climbing, fishing, biking/bike maintenance, mountaineering, camping, and water sports/canoeing.
- Documented experience in outdoor leadership.
- Experience researching and purchasing quality outdoor related equipment.
- Experience with retail/rental area operations.
- Knowledge and experience in repair and maintenance of outdoor equipment.
- Experience teaching and implementing Leave-No-Trace ethics.
- Knowledge and experience with current industry standards and risk management standards for indoor climbing facilities.
- Wilderness Medicine Instructor Certification.
How to Apply: Please click here to view the full job description as well as how to apply.