Position Title: Biological Field Technician – (914)
Organization: Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc.
Location: Cheyenne, WY
Organization Overview: Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium sized consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a part-time temporary Biological Field Technician near Cheyenne, WY. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
Position Overview: The successful candidate for this position will be able to work independently with the ability to communicate and coordinate effectively with WEST supervisors and clients, have previous experience conducting carcass searches, and have had experience working in extreme weather conditions and navigating rough terrain.
- Workload: 15-25 hours per week, with some scheduling flexibility.
- Additional Details: A vehicle may be provided or mileage will be reimbursed for personal vehicle use. Proof of insurance will be required if personal vehicle is used
- Search designated plots beneath wind turbines for bird and bat fatalities and collect data to measure sources of bias in fatality estimation
- There may be limited opportunities to conduct additional biological surveys
- Conduct field work in remote locations
- This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties that may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred
- Must be able to follow all safety protocols to ensure safe navigation throughout the day.
- Technicians are expected to use good judgment to stay safe and work efficiently
- Must be able to work independently and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, biologists, technicians, clients, and landowners.
- Skilled use of compass, global positioning system devices, binoculars, range finders, and digital cameras as well as the ability to maintain equipment
- Ability to follow protocol is essential
- Ability to identify bird and bats within the region, use of guides and keys for identification
- Training will be provided for all survey efforts and job related activities
- Technician must be equipped with and provide own suitable footwear (steel-toe hiking boots, etc.) and clothing
- Follow all WEST safety protocols
- Applicants must be in good physical shape, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme
- Candidate must be comfortable with hazards typical of the environment (sharp vegetation, driving a four-wheel drive vehicle, dust, extreme heat and cold).
- Successful candidates must be willing and able to spend a majority of the day (8-12 hours) in the elements, collecting and managing data with great attention to detail and must possess the scientific background to be able to adhere to scientific methods and report results of field studies
WEST is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for everyone and highly recommends all prospective hires be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. While WEST does not currently require vaccinations, please be aware that WEST has a mandatory vaccination policy in place should local, state or federal law require vaccinations. Additionally, WEST has certain clients that require all personnel to be vaccinated prior to working on their projects, so individuals will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination prior to working on those projects. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment
Start/End Dates: September – August 2023
Salary/Pay: $17-18/ hour, DOE
Application Deadline: September 1
How to Apply: Please use the online application to view the full job description as well as how to apply.