Wood River, NE
Position Title: Claire M. Hubbard Young Leaders in Conservation Fellowship
Organization: The Nature Conservancy
Location: Wood River, NE
Organization Overview: The Nature Conservancy is the leading conservation organization working to make a positive impact around the world in more than 60 countries, all 50 United States, and your backyard. Founded in 1951, the mission of The Nature Conservancy is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity therefore we are committed to a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Visit the About Us page to learn more
Position Overview: Join the Nebraska team and bolster your conservation and leadership experience through the Hubbard Fellowship. The work of this position will help build a healthy future for grasslands, rivers, and people through land management and restoration, science, outreach, fundraising, and other conservation activities.
Designed for recent college graduates, the Hubbard Fellowship bridges the gap between school and career by providing a comprehensive range of experiences with a conservation organization. Land management will be prominent among the Fellow’s duties, including prescribed fire, invasive species control (including herbicide application), fence repair, seed harvest, and more. Additional work will include data collection, numerous outreach and communication activities, and fundraising. The Hubbard Fellow will travel to multiple Conservancy sites, attend conservation-related meetings and conferences, and shadow Conservancy and partner staff in various capacities. In addition, the Fellow will plan and conduct an independent project catered to the Fellow’s individual interests and career objectives. See the Hubbard Fellowship page for more details.
This twelve-month (full-time) position will require irregular hours and will include extensive outdoor physical labor under adverse conditions. The Hubbard Fellow is supervised by the Director of Science and may oversee the activities of short-term staff and volunteers. This position is located at the Conservancy’s Platte River Prairies, in a rural part of central Nebraska at Wood River, Nebraska, and will run from February 6, 2023 through January 26, 2024. Housing is provided at The Nature Conservancy’s Platte River Prairies.
- BA/BS/AS/Technical or vocational degree in in biology, natural resources management, environmental studies, or related field, with graduation date of December 2022 or earlier.
- Experience working in the outdoors.
- Demonstrable leadership experience.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Qualified as or able to meet qualifications for Prescribed Fire Crew Member.
- This position requires a valid driver’s license and compliance with the Conservancy’s Auto Safety Program
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- Knowledge/understanding of current trends in conservation.
- Experience managing volunteers or other staff.
- Experience learning to identify various plant and animal species.
- Ability to complete tasks independently with respect to timeline(s).
- Working knowledge of common software applications (e.g.; Word, Excel, Web browsers).
- Communicating clearly via written, spoken and graphical means in English and other relevant languages.
Salary/Pay: Annual Salary of $27,300 based on hourly rate of $15.00.
Application Deadline: September 30 at 11:59 ET
How to Apply: Regardless of whether you have included qualifications in your resume, be sure to also provide them within the appropriate fields during the online application process. Failure to complete all of the required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration. The information entered in the education and work experience sections are auto screened by the system based on the minimum qualifications of the position. You must click submit to apply for the position. Click save if you want to be able to return to your application and submit it later. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Any questions related to this specific position may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants should refer to Hubbard Fellowship page for more information on the program.