Position Title: Research Analyst
Organization: Resources for the Future
Location: Washington, DC
Organization Overview: RFF’s mission is to improve environmental, energy, and natural resource decisions through impartial, evidence-based economic research and policy engagement. Currently committed to being the most widely trusted source of research insights and policy solutions leading to a healthy environment and a thriving economy. They envision a future where climate change no longer threatens our well-being and where smart environmental decisions help to uplift communities around the world. The experts bring the brightest thinking to bear on the future, while having shaped many of the world’s most successful environmental decisions and policies over the past 70 years. The work broadly centers on the economics and design of smart strategies to reduce sectoral and economy-wide emissions of greenhouse gases, and policies that confront climate change risks and build resilience. Also, increasingly emphasizing issues related to equity, economic transition, and disaggregated climate and policy impacts, not solely aggregate outcomes.
Position Overview: Resources for the Future is seeking a Research Analyst to join its Research and Policy Engagement team, starting immediately. The Research Analyst would work on research projects designed to enable an equitable energy transition, including projects focused on oil- and gas-producing communities, bioenergy-producing communities, and other communities that are likely to be affected by a shift towards a net-zero greenhouse gas emissions economy.
Research Analysts are essential members of the Resources for the Future (RFF) Research and Policy Engagement team. They are responsible for providing technical support that, under the direction of senior RFF team members, allows for the production of compelling and impactful research that aligns with RFF’s mission of improving environmental, energy and natural resource decisions through impartial economic research and policy engagement. This position is in person, with the option for a hybrid work schedule and is located in Washington DC.
- Role specific tasks vary depending on specified project and fellow needs.
- Data collection, management, assembly, and analysis, including use of geospatial data.
- Contribute to the writing of research publications.
- Identify, review, and synthesize academic and policy literature.
- Support discrete elements of research projects, including identifying, reviewing and synthesizing academic and policy literature, managing and analyzing datasets, or other tasks that are assigned by the project PI.
- Write internal memos and collaborating on external written products.
- Conduct and support quantitative and conceptual modeling.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in a relevant field, including economics, engineering, mathematics, computer science, or natural sciences
- Work Experience: 0-3 years of related experience (can be someone right out of school), including research assistantships while in college or internships with similar organizations or academic institutions
- Experience in assembling, managing, manipulating, and analyzing datasets, including geospatial data
- Knowledge of economics, quantitative methods, and statistics
- Knowledge of energy systems, especially oil and natural gas systems
- Interest in policy assessments that relate to the environment and natural resources
- Experience with computational, statistical and/or GIS software programming, such as Stata, R, Matlab, ArcGIS, or Python
- Salary range is $50,666- $57,134
- 35-hour work week
- Flexible summer hours (4-day work week June-Sept)
- Flexible work arrangement policy (hybrid work)
- 11 paid holidays
- 4 weeks PTO to start, increases to 5 weeks after 5 years, in addition to 13 paid sick days per year
- Gym on site
- Deli on site
- Parking on site
- RFF contributes up to 15% of your salary to a 403(b)-retirement account, depending on employee age in addition to a 401(a)
- Commuter benefit plans (pre-tax metro and parking)
How to Apply: Please use the online application to view the full job description as well as how to apply.