Position Title: Field Instructor
Location: Dubois, WY
Organization Overview: SOAR is an accredited ADHD Outdoor Adventure Summer Camp, Boarding School, and GAP Year Program. The outdoor adventure based programs provide academic instruction, experiential education, and life skills development for youth and young adults ages 8-24.
Position Overview: SOAR is a high adventure summer camp that serves participants ages 8-18 with ADHD and learning differences. They seek to empower ADHD youth by providing a successful experience in the wild world of nature. Opportunities include: full time and seasonal employment and paid internships. SOAR programs offer unique and challenging experiences for staff that are seeking personal and professional development. SOAR is an intentional step on your career path.
- Learn how to teach life skills, emotional regulation, and
- Foster an environment for growth as a mentor for kids who need it
- Find and develop your own strengths by helping our kids recognize theirs
- supervise a group of 7-8 students (2 staff per group), for 24 hours a day, on 10 to 26 day courses
- facilitate a safe and successful experience during the adventure based portions of the course, [which may include activities such as backpacking, rock climbing or belaying, whitewater rafting, caving, mountain biking, horseback riding, high and low ropes
course activities, canoeing, fishing, snorkeling, sea kayaking, funyaking, archery, hatchet
throwing, tubing, boating, llama trekking, riflery, primitive skills, paintball]
- facilitate the development of life skills, organizational skills, self-esteem, problem-solving strategies, communication techniques, and social skills; assist in developing personal goals for each student
- write a comprehensive student evaluation at the end of each course
- act as a role model for students by demonstrating maturity, responsibility, good organizational skills, and professional behavior
- other duties as assigned
- minimum 19 years of age (21 and older preferred)
- 2 years of college experience, in human service related field preferred (e.g., Education, Psychology, Recreation); current first aid and CPR certifications (minimum WFA; Lifeguard required for FL and CA staff)
- experience and/or desire to work with LD and AD/HD youth
- patience, energy, enthusiasm, flexibility, maturity, and integrity required
- experience in and/or desire to learn outdoor adventure activities
- strong organizational and time management skills preferred.
How to Apply: Please use the online application to view the full job description as well as how to apply.