Green River or Sheridan, Wyoming
Position Title: Butterfly Technicians
Organization: Wyoming Natural Diversity Database
Location: Green River or Sheridan, Wyoming
Organization Overview: The Wyoming Natural Diversity Database is the state natural heritage program and is an equal opportunity employer. They collect and disseminate information about the distribution and abundance of species of management concern and plant communities across Wyoming.
Position Overview: The Wyoming Natural Diversity Database (WYNDD) at the University of Wyoming is searching for four technicians to assist with butterfly surveys in Wyoming. They will be hiring 2 crews of 2 people each. One crew will be based near Green River (southwest Wyoming) and the other crew will be based in Sheridan, Wyoming (northern Wyoming). Crews will spend most of the summer tent camping while out surveying and housing is provided on days off.
Qualifications: Applicants with research background in insect identification will be strong candidates, but anyone interested is encouraged to apply. Applicants must have a positive attitude, strong work ethic, and productively work with others and independently. The person must be reliable, have great communication skills, be able to record accurate data in all situations, and be comfortable navigating with a map and GPS unit. Well qualified applicants will have a high school diploma plus experience in invertebrate zoology, entomology, zoology or two years of college course work towards a BS in a relevant or closely related field. Experience working in the field, conducting biological surveys and collecting field data is favored.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, be able to safely operate 4WD vehicles and pass the motor vehicle records inspection by University of Wyoming (vehicles provided)
- Applicants should prepare for long-distance travel and living in close quarters for extended periods (~5 days per trip)
- Must be in good physical condition and able to hike while carrying field and personal equipment
- Must perform fieldwork under adverse weather conditions and in remote locations without cellular service or internet
- Will operate on a flexible schedule that may change on short notice
Start/End Dates: June- August 2023
Salary/Pay: $14 per hour
Application Deadline: January 5, 2023
How to Apply: Applicants should email a letter of interest, CV and the contact information for 3 references in one document to Lusha Tronstad at firstname.lastname@example.org