Position Title: Associate Professor/Professor & Associate Dean and Director
Organization: Tarleton State University
Location: Stephenville, TX
Organization Overview: Tarleton State University, a member of the Texas A&M System, provides a student-focused, value-driven educational experience marked by academic innovation and exemplary service, and dedicated to transforming students into tomorrow’s professional leaders. With campuses in Stephenville, Fort Worth, Waco, Midlothian and online, Tarleton engages with its communities to provide real-world learning experiences and to address societal needs while maintaining its core values of integrity, leadership, tradition, civility, excellence and service.
Position Overview: The College of Science and Mathematics at Tarleton State University in Stephenville, Texas, invites qualified applicants to apply for a full-time (10.5-month), tenure-track position at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor to serve as the Associate Dean and Director of the Timberlake Biological Field Station.
Starting in Fall 2023, the position will require teaching a 2/2 course load in addition to the research and administrative duties. Teaching duties will be in the Department of Biological Sciences. Teaching load will vary depending on growth of operations at the field station, external funding, and supervision of doctoral students. Additionally, candidates will be expected to develop an active research program involving supervision of undergraduate and graduate student research. Preference will be given to candidates who will utilize the Timberlake Biological Field Station as a significant component of their research endeavors.
This position is expected to contribute to a doctoral program in biology that is being developed with an anticipated start of Fall, 2025. The candidate should have experience with doctoral level research including a record of accomplishment with the supervision of doctoral dissertations, an appropriate publication record, and external funding success over the past five years.
- Continue the Field Station Advisory Council as a mechanism to engage the local community.
- Continue the Field Station Scientific Advisory Committee as a mechanism to engage the scientific community (Tarleton faculty and beyond).
- Develop and implement a land management plan for the Field Station.
- Develop and implement a strategic plan for the Field Station that engages k-12 schools, grows the research efforts, develops strategic partnerships, and expands use by Tarleton faculty and students.
- Implement appropriate recommendations from the 2021 external consultants’ report.
- Develop appropriate business practices and protocols for Field Station operations.
- Pursue external funding to support field station operations.
- Plan and implement programs and events that strategically expand field station use
- Manage the field station operations in safe and efficient manner.
- Supervise associated support personnel.
Qualifications: Applicants must have earned a doctorate in Biology, Ecology or related field. Must have earned a tenure and promotion to rank of associate professor or higher at a comparable institution. Experience with biological field station operations, strong leadership and strategic planning skills. Experience teaching appropriate biology courses at undergraduate, master’s, and doctoral levels and experience supervising of doctoral dissertations required.
- Outreach experience with K-12 schools, rural school districts a plus
- Experience with land management plans
Application Deadline: February 28
How to Apply: Please use the online application to view the full job description as well as how to apply.