Multiple Locations, CO & WY
Position Title: Medicine Bow-Routt Recreation Intern
Organization: Rocky Mountain Youth Corps
Location: Steamboat Springs, CO; Walden, CO; Yampa, CO; Douglas, WY; Saratoga, WY; Laramie, WY
Organization Overview: Rocky Mountain Youth Corps will be the leader in NW Colorado to provide diverse opportunities for young people to participate in outdoor based service and education for their growth, respect and responsibility to self, community and environment.
They will do this through strong sustainable collaborations with project, program, and funding partners and the creation of a youth development center.
Position Overview: Serves as a member of a District recreation team in support of developed/dispersed recreation and trails programs.
Duties: a variety of patrols and projects including dispersed and developed areas adjacent to mountain communities:
- Public education and information of Forest rules and regulations to Forest visitors.
- Patrol front country trails, dispersed areas, and developed sites adjacent to mountain communities to educate on Leave No Trace practices and Forest regulations.
- Patrol roaded areas via trucks and/or UTV’s providing motorized recreation information to forest users.
- Install and maintain trailhead, road signs, access gates, and information kiosks.
- Implement and support the motorized and non-motorized travel management plan (where motorized and mountain bikes are authorized to go) via signage, gates, barriers, and visitor education.
- Perform maintenance and clean developed sites such as picnic areas, trailhead facilities including bathrooms
- Collect and count recreation fees.
- Assist with volunteer projects with local partner clubs as scheduled.
- Collect and maintain field data and trail surveys using tablets.
- Serve independently on backcountry trail projects and provide support/assistance for youth crew trail projects.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- 18 Years of age or older with a valid driver license and clean driving record.
- Eligibility to work in the US
- This position is supported by the Public Lands Hiring Authority which requires candidates to be between the ages of 16 to 30.
- Pre-service background screening required, including FBI background check
- Must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States
Preferred Qualifications: Successful applicants must have a strong work ethic and the ability to serve independently in remote locations in a variety of weather conditions.
- Positive attitude and desire to learn new skills.
- Skilled in the use of hand and power tools and in using construction tools (i.e. hammers, chainsaws, axes, drills, pumps, etc.) and have the ability to instruct crews, if necessary, in their proper use in repairing and building trails.
- Ability and comfort serving outdoors for long periods of time in inclement weather.
- Knowledge and ability to safely operate and maintain OHV equipment (i.e. UTV or ATV) and Forest Service vehicles on district roads and trails in order to safely travel to assigned areas.
- Practice effective communication and good people skills while serving with members of your team and the publi.
Start/End Dates: May – September (or upon completion of 17 weeks)
Salary/Pay: $650/week living allowance. Total amount will be $11,050.
AmeriCorps: 675-hour AmeriCorps Education Award ($2,626.27) upon successful completion
Plus: Boot/gear reimbursement up to $400
How to Apply: Please view the MBR Rec AC and use the online application to view the full job description as well as how to apply.