Las Vegas, NV
Position Title: Ecological Monitoring Field Technician
Organization: Great Basin Institute
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Organization Overview: The Great Basin Institute is an interdisciplinary field studies organization that promotes environmental research, education, and service through the west. The Institute’s mission is to advance applied science and ecological literacy through community engagement and agency partnerships, supporting national parks, forest, open spaces and public lands.
Position Overview: Great Basin Institute (GBI) is recruiting Ecological Monitoring Vegetation Field Technicians to work with GBI and BLM staff. Each Field Tech will work with one other technician under the supervision of a Field Lead to characterize vegetation using the terrestrial AIM core methods. In some instances, Habitat Assessment Framework (HAF), and/or other supplemental protocols will be performed, for which training will be provided. Aside from core AIM sampling, any supplemental protocols implemented will vary by project. Data collected will be used by resource specialists and land managers to inform decisions regarding land management at various temporal and spatial scales. During field work, car camping for 7 night “hitches” in remote locations will typically be required.
- Following established field protocols to perform vegetation sampling
- Field data collection at new and existing sampling plots (including species inventory, forb diversity, species abundance, sagebrush shape, foliar cover, canopy gap, and herbaceous and woody heights)
- Taking photo-points
- Maintaining safety awareness and practices
- Extensive 4×4 driving on unmaintained roads
- Navigating off-trail to sampling sites
- Experience, education, or a combination in botany and/or range management to meet the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in botany, biology, ecology, or rangeland ecology or other natural resources
- At least 9 semester hours in plant or biological sciences
- A minimum of 1 year field data collection identifying plants
Start Date: As soon as possible (6 month contract)
Salary/Pay: $18-20 per hour depending on experience
How to Apply: For more information and to apply, please visit the Great Basin Institutes website.