Rainy Lake, MN
Position Title: Cabin Counselor & Trip Leader
Organization: Ogichi Daa Kwe — Wilderness Camp for Girls
Location: Rainy Lake, MN
Organization Overview: Ogichi Daa Kwe is a wilderness camp for girls on Rainy Lake in northern Minnesota, near the town of International Falls. Ogichi’s program combines challenging canoe and backpacking trips with a wide range of in-camp classes, games and activities. Ogichi Daa Kwe mission is to empower the strong spirits of young women through wilderness trips and lifelong community. We value differences, promote self-confidence and practice gratitude.
Position Overview: Ogichi Daa Kwe is looking for strong-spirited staff women who share the same values and have a genuine interest in working with girls in a wilderness setting. Counselors and trip leaders live in cabins with campers, teach classes, and supervise activities as part of in-camp program, and help lead canoe and backpacking trips in Canada and the American West. Counselors guide campers through their daily routines, lead or supervise classes and activities, and promote a cabin culture that is fun, safe and appropriate. In the role of trip leader, staff members help plan, prepare for and ensure the success of wilderness trips ranging in length from three to 16 days.
- Ensure the safety of campers at all times
- Provide positive leadership during classes, activities, mealtimes and free time
- Provide positive leadership on trips; help campers gain skills, develop self-confidence and work as a team
- Lead or help teach classes; help campers work toward standards and goals
- Lead or help supervise activities and games throughout the day
- Adhere to all camp policies and safety protocols and ensure that campers do the same
- At least 18 years old
- Desire to work with children in a wilderness setting
- Organization skills, self-motivated attitude, ability to handle multiple responsibilities
- Ability to handle the pressures associated with working and living with children
- Ability to work long and irregular hours, especially on trips
- Ability to leave your phone and other devices in designated areas, to be used only in an emergency
- Experience in at least one of the core activities: athletics, archery, arts and crafts,
boatbuilding, climbing, low ropes course, riflery, sailing, watersports, wilderness trips, yoga
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds
- Ability to participate in strenuous activities such as hiking, paddling and portaging—often over challenging terrain and with heavy gear
- Ability to work for extended periods of time while standing, kneeling, paddling, etc.
- Prior experience working with children
- Prior experience canoeing or backpacking
- Current Wilderness First Aid (WFA) or Wilderness First Responder (WFR) certification, White water training, and Lifeguard certification (Ogichi offers WFR, lifeguard certification, and whitewater courses prior to the start of the camp season.)
- Other certifications: archery, climbing, low ropes course, riflery, sailing, boating
Start/End Dates: Mid-May – mid-August
Application Deadline: Available until full
How to Apply: Please use the online application to view the full job description as well as how to apply.