Steamboat Springs, CO
Position Title: Trail Stewardship Technicians and Leaders
Organization: Colorado Mountain Club
Location: Steamboat Springs, CO
Organization Overview: The Colorado Mountain Club is the Rocky Mountain community for mountaincraft education, adventure, and conservation. They exist to bring people together and share our love of the mountains—and community. From the uninitiated to the expert, there is a place for everyone here.
Founded in 1912, the CMC has built a legacy of responsible outdoor leadership and ethics, paired with a healthy spirit of adventure. Our heart beats from historic headquarters in Golden, Colorado, where we’re constantly fueled by the time we spend—and the experiences we share—in the wilderness.
Position Overview: Crew Leaders & Technicians will receive opportunities to work with public land management agencies, non-profits, and volunteers on a wide variety of conservation projects. Program participants will engage in an extensive 3-week training period that focuses on enhancing technical project skills, field-based knowledge as well as conservation leadership strategies.
- Operate on a small collaborative team consisting of 1 Leader and 2 Technicians
- Efficiently complete trail and conservation projects in a variety of environmental conditions, including adverse weather and terrain.
- Coordinate logistics with CMC staff and land management agency personnel.
- Positively interact with all user groups of public lands throughout Colorado.
- Effectively communicate to CMC staff, partners, and volunteers in a timely manner.
- Complete reporting & administrative tasks assigned by CMC staff and agency personnel.
- Assist in management of crew budget and expenses.
- Support and participate in CMC activities and tasks.
- Utilize and engage in CMC risk management strategies.
- Transport crew and gear safely in vehicles.
- Ability to work 10-hour days in adverse conditions.
- Demonstrated experience with conservation, trail, restoration, or other outdoor fields
- Experience includes both paid and unpaid/volunteer experience
- Ability to work both independently and on a team with a collaborative culture.
- Capacity to professionally communicate in complex situations.
- Ability to adapt and adjust to changing work conditions and/or priorities.
- Good driving record and must hold a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to hike up to 15 miles with a heavy (30+lbs.) pack. Most days are less than 15 miles and are with a light pack.
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or move objects weighing 60 pounds or more.
- Experience with living & working outdoors, camping both frontcountry & backcountry, backpacking, and outdoor skills.
- These qualifications are an ideal, if you are motivated about this type of work but lack these specific qualifications we encourage you to still apply!
Start/End Dates: June-August
Application Deadline: Hiring immediately
How to Apply: Email email@example.com with a resume & three professional references. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, with preference given to earlier applicants. Hiring for these positions will begin immediately. Please specify which position you are applying for – Leader or Technician.