Position Title: Biological Field Technician
Organization: Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc.
Location: Denver, CO
Organization Overview: Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States and Canada, is looking for a temporary, full-time Biological Field Technician with exceptional biological survey experience for a project in Wyoming. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data. Since its founding in 1990, their team has shaped the foundation of WEST, and what is believed in through core values and key principles. WEST’s work matters to clients, communities, and the environment.
- Conducting standardized avian use surveys (i.e., avian point count surveys)
- Other surveys as opportunity arises (post-construction monitoring, lek surveys, raptor nest surveys, monitoring bat detectors, etc. as needed)
- Fieldwork will require long, physically challenging days in a range of temperatures and wind speeds,
Preference given to candidates able to identify western birds by sight and sound – please expand upon your bird identification skills in your application.
- Must be comfortable with hazards typical of the environment (sharp vegetation, driving a four-wheel drive vehicle, dust, extreme heat, cold and wind)
- Job duties require use of compass, and Global Positioning System devices,
Training will be provided as appropriate, and other tasks may be assigned as needed.
- Candidates must be capable of identifying western birds by sight and sound, including eagles in varying age classes, recording data correctly and legibly, following study and safety protocols, keeping on schedule and be a self-starter, and trouble-shooting problems in the field.
- Previous experience conducting avian surveys is preferred but will train the right candidate.
Candidates should be able to interact positively and professionally with project managers, field lead, landowners, and other technicians.
- Candidate must be a self-starter, have the ability to appear for work on time (surveys begin at sunrise), maintain focus for long periods of time, follow instructions from the supervisors, maintain positive attitude, and accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Candidate must be able to perform duties with limited supervision.
- Consistent and effective communication with the team is imperative.
- Environmental conditions include working in rain, high wind, mud, and very cold or hot temperatures.
- Proficient use of topographic maps, compass, GPS units, and other field equipment required.
- Required to provide documentation of full vaccination for COVID-19 prior to the start date.
- A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company.
Start/End Dates: June 1 2023 – March 30, 2024
Salary/Pay: $21.50 – $23.50/hour
Application Deadline: June 1
How to Apply: Please use the online application to view the full job description as well as how to apply.