Organization: North Carolina State University
- Work with faculty advisors to advance citizen science theory and practice by conducting literature reviews and crafting innovative research projects (assisting or leading study design, data collection, and analysis).
- Work with faculty advisors and partners to enhance capacity for project management in SciStarter, including the development of corporate staff volunteer programs.
- Assist or lead in developing peer-reviewed journal articles, academic presentations, non-technical reports and outreach materials (e.g., Manual for Project Owners), and other project deliverables.
- BS (for MS opening) or MS degree (for PhD opening) in human dimensions of natural resources, social sciences, information sciences, or related field
- Demonstrated research experience (data collection, analysis, and writing)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong commitment to public science
- Interest in interdisciplinary (social and biological) research
- Meet admissions requirements of the NC State Graduate School
Start and end dates: August 15, 2018
Salary/pay: This assistantship provides a competitive stipend, tuition, student fees, and health insurance. They assume 20 hours per week dedicated to the project and 20 hours dedicated to coursework. M.S. position is renewable for up to 2 years based on satisfactory progress. Ph.D. position is renewable for up to 3 years based on satisfactory progress.
Link to more information: Learn more about the program.
How to apply: Please begin the application process by sending an email copying both Dr. Caren Cooper and Dr. Lincoln Larson with the following items in one PDF document:
- Letter of Intent (personal statement describing relevant experience and research interests, should also specify preferred assistantship – MS or PhD)
- Resume or CV
- Contact Information for 3 Academic References
Application deadline: January 15, 2018.