Various locations across the US (Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Utah, Montana)
Organization: Society for Wilderness Stewardship
- Attend one-week training in Powell, Idaho (travel provided).
- Work out of remote locations, residing in agency housing when available.
- Coordinate meetings and interviews with land management agency staff.
- Research, compile and analyze legislative and administrative historical data.
- Travel to and into wilderness areas.
- Compile data for selected monitoring and complete components of wilderness monitoring.
- Implement inventory and monitoring strategies for tracking wilderness data.
- Participate in weekly calls with the SWS National Program Coordinator and monthly calls with all Fellows.
- Set and meet benchmarks and deadlines for data collection, meetings, and draft and final reports.
- Create comprehensive written reports for each project completed.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, Master’s degree preferred.
- Educational background in Wilderness Management, Protected Area/Natural Resource Management, Recreation Resource Management, Conservation Social Science, Environmental Policy, Natural, Biological and/or Physical Science.
- Deep interest in wilderness/resource management.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Research skill and attention to detail and organization.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively on projects, high degree of initiative.
- Understanding and ability to use GIS.
- Results-oriented with the ability to set and follow realistic goals and objectives.
- Flexibility to adapt when faced with changing needs and priorities.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, comfort with technology and social media.
- Ability to travel to training and remote field locations (travel provided), and to relocate if necessary (assistance not provided).
Start and end dates: May 21, 2018 – November 9, 2018
Salary/pay: $600 Weekly Stipend
How to apply: To apply, e-mail a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three professional or academic references to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: March 2nd