Position: The CU Green Labs Program, a partnership of Facilities Management and Environmental Center, welcomes applications for a Program Assistant Outreach Coordinator! This position is responsible for engaging new labs, new Eco-Leaders, and team leads; maintaining relations with participating labs; organizing events and presentations; and providing assistance with managing student employees, day to day program operations, and communication.The position will best be filled by a person with knowledge of laboratory environments and with excellent engagement and communication skills.
The CU Green Labs utilizes a team approach to save water, energy, and reduce solid and hazardous waste in hundreds of labs on the CU-Boulder campus. Laboratories are important centers of intellectual innovation and discovery in our society. They also have a large environmental footprint. Because laboratories are large consumers of resources and thus present huge opportunities for conservation, a special emphasis for conservation has been placed on laboratory operations since 2009 through the creation of the CU Green Labs Program.
Primary Goals and Responsibilities:
- Raise awareness about CU Green Labs Program, promoting ways that labs can work together with the program and the program’s role on campus.
- Develop outreach materials to advertise new efforts launched by the program.
- Engage new labs, lab members, and faculty and maintain ongoing relations with labs already engaged in the program.
- Manage our Eco-Leader program, which identifies Team Leads in labs who will promote sustainability efforts within their team.
- Serve on the I2SL Waste Diversion Working Group.
- Organize and coordinate events, meetings, and campaigns.
- Develop and give presentations on campus, by webinar, and at national conferences.
- Work with Team Leads and Lab Eco-Leaders in Departments to identify efforts worth pursuing in different departments and areas of science.
- Assist with communication such as email messaging, newsletters, social media, website development.
- Coordinate and ensure maintenance of ongoing program efforts such as lab-specific material recycling, fume hood checks, timers, mobile freezers, poster signage, and metering.
- Help train, manage, and promote safety in labs among student employees.
- Help maintain program databases (such as Lab Eco-Leader, Green Labs recycling, etc.).
- Coordinate shared ULT Freezer Program (communication, logistics, updates to inventory, coordination).
- Assume responsibility for select research assignments for the program, as assigned, such as developing new program initiatives or identifying the most energy efficient/water lab equipment in a particular equipment category.
- Meet regularly with CU Green Labs Program Manager to plan, provide updates, and assist with strategic visioning for CU Green Labs.
- Create method to document impact of position and report metrics.
- Help write grant applications (such as those for Sustainable CU).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science or Sustainability Education field.
- One year of work experience that focused on community outreach and/or science/sustainability education.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute.
- Ability to present to groups.
- Ability to lead and direct teams
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent speaking, writing, presentation, and communication skills.
How to Apply:
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.