North Carolina, Wyoming
SOAR, Inc. provides equal opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
SOAR is an adventure summer camp for youth diagnosed with ADHD and other Learning Differences. Campers participate in expeditions ranging from 10-26 days. Our instructor’s primary responsibility will be to supervise campers during the length of the course while utilizing behavior management strategies and helping campers increase their self-esteem. SOAR is looking for individuals that have a passion working with ADHD/LD youth. Your own personal development, including the ability to demonstrate resilience, professionalism, and endurance, will be tested in entirely new ways.
Rock Climbing/Activity Specialist:
Available NC: May 14-August 16, 2019; WY: May 15-August 13, 2019
SOAR is an adventure summer camp for youth diagnosed with ADHD and other Learning Differences. Campers participate in expeditions ranging from 10-26 days where they will participate in several adventure activities. Our activity specialist primary responsibility is to set and facilitate climbs, rappelling, and high rope sites. This position offers the opportunity to develop site management skills, facilitation and activity processing skills, and team work. Flexibility and being a team player is essential.
Why you should work for SOAR:
1. To gain experience and training in working with special needs youth
2. To gain experience and training in site management and leading activities with groups.
3. To develop leadership and teaching experience in an area you will be working in the near future
4. To fulfill a requirement of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree
5. To make a difference in the lives of youth that have had limited success and are looking for direction on what type of work that might entail
6. To find connections with other young adults who share your views and interests, professionally and personally, in the special education or therapeutic communities
7. To be part of a community that extends far, far beyond the reach of the summer season
Work with groups of 7-8 students with 2 instructors to facilitate a safe and successful experience during the adventure activity portions of 10 to 26 day courses
Set rock climb and rappelling sites and act as site manager
Provide relief to instructors in the field; work with youth in-between courses.
NC only – facilitate and manage high ropes course activities; support caving activities; potentially support whitewater rafting days or mountain biking activities.
WY only – lead flat-water canoeing and riflery.
Minimum 21 years of age (some exceptions allowed).
2 years college experience, preferable in Recreation Therapy, Outdoor Recreation, Education, or Psychology.
WFA and CPR required (WFR preferred). Lifeguard certification required for WY staff.
Strong experience required in technical skills such as rock site facilitation and management; for NC additionally ropes course facilitation or caving.
Patience, energy, enthusiasm, flexibility, maturity, and integrity required. Use of personal vehicle required. (Vehicle stipend provided).
How to Apply: Complete a staff application on-line at https://soarnc.org/about-soar/employment-opportunities/ or contact Andrea Wackerle, SOAR, PO Box 388, Balsam, NC 28707, (828)456-3435, firstname.lastname@example.org.