Job Title: Early Childhood Teacher-Naturalist
Organization: Montana Audubon Center
Type of opportunity: The Montana Audubon Center is seeking a responsible, enthusiastic professional to teach in our Fledglings Nature Preschool and other pre-K programs. As one of the only Nature Preschools in Montana and a member of the Natural Start Alliance, Fledglings is founded on the idea that kids learn best through play and hands-on experiences.
- Supervision and instruction of groups of up to 12 youth, ages 2-5, in the outdoors and in the classroom.
- Provide a safe and positive environment for all program participants, including awareness of physical abilities, environmental hazards, and group dynamics.
- Assistance with program registration, processing of payment and other administrative duties related to education programs.
- Development and/or adaptation of early childhood curriculum and programming for a day, week, month, and year-long program sessions.
- Progress evaluation of students, including in academic and non-academic areas.
- Coordination and communication with parents/guardians of program participants.
- Communication with the general public about Center programs and mission.
- Maintain a quality program, including regular evaluations of both successes and failures in programming, approach, equipment, or other aspects, and enhance or adapt as necessary.
- Comfort leading and teaching youth ages 2-5 in outdoor settings, including emphasis on risk management and other executive functions, and learning that emerges from play.
- Experience in Montessori, Interest-led Flow Learning, Reggio, Inquiry Learning, Place-based, emergent curriculum, or similar educational pedagogies.
- Ability to:
- Engage in outdoor activity and supervise others in a variety of weather conditions
- Walk for long distances, crouch, lift up to 50#, and wrangle small children unaided
- Interest and/or specific knowledge of natural history subjects, particularly in the local area.
- Responsible, dependable, and enthusiastic.
- Team-oriented approach as well as the ability to self-motivate and work independently.
How to apply: Submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references to Carolyn Sevier, Center Director, email@example.com. For questions, contact Carolyn via e-mail or at 406-294-5099.